Author Topic: R&R HOF  (Read 1420 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
R&R HOF
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Let's hear it for Randy Newman! Apparently he rocked harder than Deep Purple.  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLPrC5HUMo
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
Re: R&R HOF
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
And the people who voted for it to be this way can go back to their insane asylums now. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
RRHOF is Jann Wenner's plaything. It's never been about who rocks harder. Half the acts aren't rock at all.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »
I like Randy Newman. I also like Deep Purple, but whether they are in the RRHF or not ... Won't buy them another mansion, will it?  I'm more interested in their Bob Ezrin produced work coming out in April. I prefer them as working entity (for the few years they still have) rather than a memorial. They already Mount Rushmorized themselves as young men in their twenties with the In Rock cover, to this day one of the most iconic pop art album covers of the time. You could always pick it out in any shop and I remember that even I as a 10 year old was impressed by it though the music at that point - I preferred The Beatles and hard rock was still a few years away for me - still went over my head.

Blackers will see himself confirmed. He despises the RRHF and boycotted DP's last attempt there (some years back, the Bee Gees were inducted that year, all of them were still alive). Roger Glover will be disappointed though, it would have meant something to him.

It's a bit like Kiss, once you have been turned down often enough, it is commemoration enough to not be included.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
It's a bit like Kiss, once you have been turned down often enough, it is commemoration enough to not be included.

When I was at Texas A&M they had a really big Science Fiction convention every year.  One year they invited Robert A. Heinlein to be the keynote speaker, and he decided not to come.  After that, every year they had a Special Guest Non-Appearance by R.A. Heinlein on the schedule.  As far as I know they're still carrying on that tradition.  But then, they're Aggies, so if they do something twice they're obligated to do it in perpetuity.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
He always was a stranger in a strange land... RAH quit writing some years back and got into music; even wrote some, so I heard; nowadays he's mostly de-composing...

... as for the RRHOF... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
Let's hear it for Randy Newman! Apparently he rocked harder than Deep Purple.  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLPrC5HUMo

It's not who ya' know it's who ya'