Author Topic: 05' Les Paul Bass on the bay  (Read 5586 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
05' Les Paul Bass on the bay
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Bass-/181029972455?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3736542140063917623%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D181029972455%26

Day left on this one, no bites. Love my 07' money so much makes me gas for these too. The toggle is a 3 way pickup selector right? and knobs are v/t/v/t? The earlier unchambered carved tops without the toggle were all active I think. Thoughts?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 05' Les Paul Bass on the bay
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
I'm not sure whether the chambered bodies came immediately with the departure of the active electronics (Bartolini TCT circuit) which occured around 97/98, I believe they came later. That said, my active LP Standard is a lot heavier than my later passive one. It may well that with the introduction of the toggle switch and the routing that necessitated on the passive ones, they started "Swiss cheesing" the body too. But if memory serves correctly, the chambered bodies were not mentioned before the early noughties when the step to LP Standards in passive had already been made for some years.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
I love that guy's style in his auction description. If I had the money, I'd buy that bass for two reasons: one- I love the GOOD modern-era LP's and two- that guy doesn't mince words; we'd get along.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
Sold for $910. The last bid came at almost the last second. Wasn't me, I have more important priorties at the moment, besides, who needs 2 volumes 2 tones and a toggle?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Pretty good deal at $910.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
and up pops another. This one's a minty. Glad I'm not a fan of cherry burst.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-/251165301428?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7a9e5ab4

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
I do like cherry burst, but for that kind of money I buy a new one with the improved headstock

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-BA13-LIST

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
When it comes to headstock size, I'm inclined to think bigger isn't necessarily better. Bridges, on the other hand, benefit from added mass. Tough to beat that warwick bridge. One thing I wonder about the new oversize LP is since the bridge saddle section is not perpendicular but on an angle to the strings, do the saddles still adjust on a parallel axis in relation to the strings?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
I do like cherry burst, but for that kind of money I buy a new one with the improved headstock

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-BA13-LIST

Agreed. And the cherry burst one may never have been played but that doesn't make it new. Not very smart to ask for the same price as new unless you're an authorized dealer selling a warranted product.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
When it comes to headstock size, I'm inclined to think bigger isn't necessarily better. Bridges, on the other hand, benefit from added mass. Tough to beat that warwick bridge. One thing I wonder about the new oversize LP is since the bridge saddle section is not perpendicular but on an angle to the strings, do the saddles still adjust on a parallel axis in relation to the strings?

:mrgreen: Of course they don't. But it doesn't matter unless, perhaps, you intend to change strings only every ten years in which case they might be a little bit more break-prone. They don't adjust the bridges on the guitars either, only a company like Warwick/Framus might do that, but not Gibson.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »
Wow, that bridge on the new ones is disapointing used that way.  Looks like those Chinese aftermarket bass bridges that started appearing a few years back, and then on those Ibanez hollowbodies IIRC.  I didn't mind it though I assume intonating might have been tough with some guages, but at least they installed it straight.

I just installed a Schaller bridge on a client's 6 banger SG ho that has slanted saddle axes (as well as easily 1.5X,  if not more, of the saddle travel than a standard Tune-o-matic) so that mounting it slated like that not only looks cool but works very well.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »
Wow, that bridge on the new ones is disapointing used that way.  Looks like those Chinese aftermarket bass bridges that started appearing a few years back, and then on those Ibanez hollowbodies IIRC.  I didn't mind it though I assume intonating might have been tough with some guages, but at least they installed it straight.

It's just a bass version of the original tune-o-matic bridge. Don't know whether or not it has enough travel for proper intonation, but any Chinese bridges that look like that would be knockoffs of the Gibson original, not the other way around.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:40:33 AM »
It's just a bass version of the original tune-o-matic bridge. Don't know whether or not it has enough travel for proper intonation, but any Chinese bridges that look like that would be knockoffs of the Gibson original, not the other way around.
Wilkinson sells that bridge and tailpiece.  It's made in China, possibly in the same factory making Gibson's "Grovers".  Angling the bridge has the effect of narrowing the string spacing as well as allowing more adjustment travel  The bridge angle can be compensated by filing the saddle string slots so they are parallel to the string run.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »
Speaking from experience: Range on those slanted ones is tight depending on what string set you have.