Author Topic: Led Zeppelin DVD  (Read 4730 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Led Zeppelin DVD
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
Now the zep fans and dead heads have something in common. They will both lay down a bunch of dough to subject themselves to a band that is a shell of its former self and way past its prime. The last years of Jerry's performances where pretty depressing and cringe worthy. So was the zep reunion IMO. The rabid and hysteric demand of the Zep loving masses would have come out to see Plant even he had a tracheotomy and sang through a voice box. Some things are best left in the past.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
No, they're not! I enjoy discussing slagging off Led Zep because their popularity eludes me...
;D

Never understood their (live) popularity myself either - as I've pointed out before my lasting impression of Knebworth was a broken nose and not their show - studio wise... there is some of their material which is almost timeless in its beauty...

Plant and Gillan are very differing voices but Coverdale is closer to Plant than Gillan...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
The Led Zeppelin Mothership CD set is worth a listen.  I find the sound to be much superior to any of the regular CD's that I had purchased over the years. (and even the vinyl I still have)  My older sisters had LZ I, II, III and IV.  I listened to II all the time as an 8 year old.  I really got into them when Physical Graffiti came out.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
Physical Graffiti is self-indulgent but nicely varied. A lot of the material on it is less pretentious than the usual Zep fare. I remember the Rolling Stone review, they clobbered Kashmir as "boring after the first two minutes". My favorite Zep album along with the unavoidable IV - though that contains Stay away from Heaven or whatever it is called, from the first listen I thought that song a pretentious amalgam of hot air.

True Coverdale, even before he became blond Daisy, is more Plant than Gillan, also harder to understand than Gillan! Plant and Coverdale both have strong blues influences, Gillan was more a Elvis Presley and Little Richard buff. Of course, Gillan can wipe the foor with both of them as a lyricist.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:17:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
the unavoidable IV - though that contains Stay away from Heaven or whatever it is called, from the first listen I thought that song a pretentious amalgam of hot air.

One of my favorite guitar solo's though.  On a Telecaster no less!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
I listened to II all the time as an 8 year old.

I burned a CD of mp3s of Zeppelin, Stones and Beatles songs for my 6yo son.  He listens to it in the car all the time, in preference to the Top 40 pop compilation CD we bought him last Christmas.  It's very cool to be driving along and being able to hear Kashmir blasting from the headphones in the back seat.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 04:18:38 AM »
Now that's a proper musical education, way to go!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »
 I agree whole heartedly! My band does this tune, every time we play it I want to nod off, I can't help but think there's eight minutes of my life I can't get back. A complete geetard wank feast.
I remember the Rolling Stone review, they clobbered Kashmir as "boring after the first two minutes".

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
It has grown on me over the years, no decades. The way Bonzo drums through it 4/4 until it all makes sense again, ignoring Page's strange meters. Probably a coincidence or sheer laziness on Bonzo's part, but charming. Lyrics are sheer rubbish though as they mostly are with Robert Plant. He ain't Bob Dylan for sure.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
It has grown on me over the years, no decades. The way Bonzo drums through it 4/4 until it all makes sense again, ignoring Page's strange meters. Probably a coincidence or sheer laziness on Bonzo's part, but charming. Lyrics are sheer rubbish though as they mostly are with Robert Plant. He ain't Bob Dylan for sure.

Found an interesting live video here...note that the lead is played on a Danelectro!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
One of my favorite Bonzo moments occurs on In My Time Of Dying. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
page frequently played that 'mother of diving board' guitar.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Yes, you've got to grant it to him, he could make junk sound like something and was not elitist about his instruments at all.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
Page used that Dan-O live on the songs he played in the DADGAD tuning - White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Kashmir, possibly others.  I think he may have owned it since the Yardbirds days.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
The girls in that Angel clip posted above

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=7474.msg120206#msg120206

use one too - very faithfully.