Author Topic: NBD: G&L El Toro  (Read 73474 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
NBD: G&L El Toro
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »
My taste for the unusual in bass life continues with the acquisition of a 1985 G&L El Toro - certainly the most Fenderish thing you'll find me with.

Black headstock means it sits neatly in with all my Gibsons :)

Got pole pieces? ;)

Volume, treble, bass, black = pickup selector, red = mad series mode + OMG treble cut, white = active/passive.

It's quite a beast - gobs of thick bass and that's before you kick it into active mode.  A little different to my Tribute L-2000 (one would hope), haven't done enough A-B to give you a definitive comparison, but I think it's a keeper.  Black crinkle finish on the control plate/bridge keeps the bling down and keeps it tasteful (for me).  Some people have described these as difficult to get along with, a mid heavy sound but to me it sounds fantastic and my only complaint is that it's a bit hissy if you kick it into active and have the treble all the way up.

I might have to get rid of the L-2000 to help balance the books, but I'm putting that off, as I'm sure you can agree they do look lovely together :)

Yamaha BBs and G&Ls, my little non-Gibson indulgences ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:06:22 AM by neepheid »
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: NBD: G&L El Toro
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
I'm with you bro. My only non Gibby is a G&L SB1, and she a real powerful mother and fits right in with the loud crowd. George Porter sure got his El Toro to sound good going through a Hartke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdMDexoMSlc&feature=plcp
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »
Very nice!
A buddy of mine is dying for an El Toro, but he's a big G&L head. A local friend of many years has an Interceptor bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:01:28 AM »
Cheers guys.

Ha, the Interceptor is one strange beast.  Identical to the El Toro electronically, but that body shape is, shall we say an acquired taste?  I think I described it once as having "looks only a mother could love" ;)

I do like my G&Ls.  I remember when I encountered an L-2000 for the first time (a beautiful orange one with flamed maple top) and someone patiently explaining to me that the bass and treble were cut only.  In fact, there's a photo of it, with me looking like I'm drooling slightly ;)

Had a fondness for them ever since.  It sometimes feels like a bit of a secret, how good G&Ls are.  And the Tributes (especially second hand) are frighteningly good value for money.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:27 AM »
Nice...the El Toro is very interesting - and I'd be interested to read if you ever A/B it against the Tribute.

To be honest, it would have been hard to pry that orange one out of my hands. Gorgeous.
I've been jonesing for an orange ASAT bass since the first time I saw one. G&L does make some cool looking basses and they're packed full of balls.

I also have a black L2k Tribute identical to yours. If I had listened to the snobs telling me just how crappy the Tributes sound, I would never have had the chance to regularly play and really enjoy that bass.

Enjoy.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
I would say with some certainty that anyone who claims G&L Tributes sound "crappy" have never played one - especially if they're trying to say that they sound "crappy" compared to USA G&Ls.  Considering they use the same pickups - where most of the sound of an electric guitar or bass comes from, I'd say this kind of attitude is fuelled by snobbery at best, xenophobia at worst and absolutely zero fact.  Glad you were able to cut through it and find your own truth about them :)

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
Gorgeous! New to this board, but I may be the buddy Denis mentioned above.  I want that thing!  Love me some MFD's!
Go fast, take chances.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
Yep, you're the buddy I mentioned earlier. As soon as I saw that El Toro I thought of you.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
I want one super bad again.  Just about bit on a Climax not long ago, too. And I'm loving the shorties again currently. I'm not very good at thinning the herd...
Go fast, take chances.