Author Topic: USA Thunderbird Reverse Out of Production?  (Read 9052 times)

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
Re: USA Thunderbird Reverse Out of Production?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
...we need to start an outcry for a new and improved Thunderbird. Chrome hardware, old school two part bridge but with better intonation capabilities and I'd love to see a single pickup option as well. If enough of us keep chirping about this maybe Gibson will take heed.

The thing is, if Gibson ever did this, it would sell at two to three times as much as something like a Bach or Cataldo... and would be outperformed by them, too. And Gibson knows that. Unfortunately, the small market that there is for an authentic T-bird won't be truly happy with anything that Gibson puts out, because they can't make something that true to the original that they'd be comfortable selling for a mass market price point. It would have to be sold at a collector's price point and be made in a very limited run. and no one's gonna spring for that when there are other viable options right now.

Much like Les Paul players are never satisfied with any reissue or 'tribute' line of LP's so Gibson sells artist specific signature reissues that are pretty much vintage accurate for five digits. It's that or something like a Rist.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:11 AM »
Syntax a tricky thing is. Not by everyone mastered equally. My bass a gay color has.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »
The thing is, if Gibson ever did this, it would sell at two to three times as much as something like a Bach or Cataldo... and would be outperformed by them, too. And Gibson knows that. Unfortunately, the small market that there is for an authentic T-bird won't be truly happy with anything that Gibson puts out, because they can't make something that true to the original that they'd be comfortable selling for a mass market price point. It would have to be sold at a collector's price point and be made in a very limited run. and no one's gonna spring for that when there are other viable options right now.

Much like Les Paul players are never satisfied with any reissue or 'tribute' line of LP's so Gibson sells artist specific signature reissues that are pretty much vintage accurate for five digits. It's that or something like a Rist.

My buddy has a lot of nice guitars and says his re-issue 3 pickup black beauty Les Paul blows them all away. Gibson is 90% of the way there with the 9 ply neck through construction, something you can't get from any other builder. I don't see how adding a new bridge, chrome hardware and offering the option of one less pickup could change the current price point so drastically.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Figas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
Unfortunately, the small market that there is for an authentic T-bird won't be truly happy with anything that Gibson puts out

Well, the Tbird's market IS small, either in it's actual shape or not, so why not refresh it? I guess any kind of change people keep asking for is both easy to do (since it doesn't quite require that much of a development) and likely profitable.
I mean.. what the hell... chrome covers and classic white finish for instance? What's so difficult about that?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »

Considering all the basses Gibson has done recently I can't see why a redeaux along classic lines isn't possible. I'd be interested.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
how about 60s spec.go on gibson you can do it.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »
Not before they do my doubleneck: Fretless long scale and fretted short scale with D and G doubled with octave strings, SG shape. They must set their priorities right.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 06:14:07 AM »
Not before they do my doubleneck: Fretless long scale and fretted short scale with D and G doubled with octave strings, SG shape. They must set their priorities right. Continental V.

Fixed that for you. :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
Denis, you are a sadist.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
Denis, you are a sadist.

;D The funny thing is that I've seen CASES for Continental basses listed on eBay.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Denis, you are a sadist.

Yes, Uwe, there is a Santa Claus!

'bout the only way you'll ever see one of those! 8) ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:26:06 PM by Lightyear »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »
I think a soundtrack to this sadism is appropriate... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keqqegsd50E
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
The irony is: They had one. I saw it. Touched it. It didn't look bad as modern boutique look basses go. Not more horrible than an Alembic.

I should have torn it out of its locked holder at Frankfurt Messe and made a dash for it. Hey, I'm an attorney, I could have always argued my way out of it. "If the bass don't fit, you acquit."

The Continental (a brainchild of the former Tobias executive) was scrapped because Henry J. thought "it looks just like a Tobias" - duh, so what I cry, Tobias has been a brand with the Gibson family for ages and Gibson has built so many outlandish, brand heritage-defying basses that one more wouldn't have mattered.

That and how they refuse to build the doubleneck for me (on an unlimited price and waiting period budget!) is really adding insult to injury.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
A "custom shop" article is a "boutique" item by any other name...

Surely it may be argued, that you could arrange for the marriage of two, "Legitimate and individual Gibson Custom Shop instruments", built to your specific and unique personal specifications, but acceptable to the Company, that could, by the means of a chosen "out-of-house" luthier's alchemical magic, ideally an ex employee of The Company, so legitamacy and audit trails could, at the very least, be maintained; maybe they could even be persuaded to serialise them consecutively, or uniquely, for example UW3, if that sort of requirement is another necessity, and once completed, they would become one, a unique and personal to you item that would be yours and yours alone, and then, with your legalese, you could persuade the hoi polloi of the merits of such a fine and unique addition to your most eminent collection... quite the talking point, I might add... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
Of course I could have my luthier do it. Better, cheaper and with more love than the Gibson CS, but the point is I WANT A GIBSON C-SS BA-SS TO MY OWN SS-PECS!!! IT I-SS MY NATURE- AND FATE-GIVEN RRRRRRRIGHT!!!!!! LEBENS- UND GIBSSÖNRAUM!!!

Say, would Nashville be hard to invade? We could always rename it "Nazzstadt" ...