Author Topic: GOT MIA  (Read 12004 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: GOT MIA
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
Hang in, Scott - we have two daughters who are now 23 and 24.  I can't say they ran us over too much stuff, but it definitely takes time and some heart-to-heart talks.  Do what you can do and keep planning ahead.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
Good mojo from Raleigh!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
 Again many thanks guys  :)  We moved him to hospice care this morning. He is on morphine and not eating (hasn't really eaten in weeks) I can't imagine it will be all that long.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Just went through this long distance (NJ / FL) with my sis. She was diagnosed last fall with Stage 4 metastatic lung cancer, and did the chemo, hoping for some extra time. We tried to get her to move back to NJ, but she wouldn't hear of it. Hospice, morphine, the whole magilla. We lost her at the end of August, and I wound up traveling down there to clean out her apartment, donate some stuff, load her old Jeep with the rest and head back home. My dad is 92 and is in no way capable of handling any of this stuff himself. She died without ever signing the will, etc - despite efforts on the part of her friends and myself to get her to do so, so that compounds everything.

Scott, I've got a 15-year old son that tests us on a regular basis, so I know it ain't easy. Mood swings, attitude, you name it. A friend of mine is a single dad with a 16-year old daughter that doesn't even acknowledge him when he congratulates her on a good game or whatever, and it breaks his heart. All you can do is be there to help them get up after they fall.

Re the van... what year/brand is it?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
 I am so sorry about your sister................. My folks have been gone 15 years now. My wife's mom passed three weeks after I met Cath(25 years ago). Paulie my father in law has been like another Dad. I am a lucky guy. I am adopted, I came into this world with out a father yet I ended up with two.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
So sorry to hear about your families Kenny and Lowend.  Life is so tenuous, we should never take it for granted.  Blessings to you guys and Scott for peace and comfort over the next weeks.  I know how difficult the journey can be for those who are ill.  Blessings to all!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about the conditions for your relatives, guys. I understand some of us are in the age when that kind of things starts happening. Or, as for me and some other guys here, when those times gets a part of everyday life. I can only speak out of my own experiences, which tells me that both the night and day can get really dark, but that there's light ahead. It's just that it's hard to believe in the dark hours.
As for your daughter, Scott, I can say the wife and me were really worried some years ago concerning our youngest daughter. And we had extremely good cause to be, too. Now she's 24, living in another part of our country, getting an education, and taking care of her life in general.
When we look back at our own lifes, sure we realize that our parents had good reasons to be worried, at times.
Whatever, just don't loose the faith and hope for better days ahead!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles Billy...

Buzz... I know exactly what you mean - it never rains but it does tend to pour - our daughter was diagnosed with a medical condition last year and has suffered with depression since, this depression was also more recently diagnosed (unconnected to her physical condition) as something relatively unheard of over here - BPD - even the name is controversial and it is still being sorted into sub conditions... she is not taking her nan's circumstances well... we learn if she (my MiL) is fit enough fo chemo tomorrow... the best it would do is extend by a short time and not cure... as my MiL has lost 40 lbs in about a month we do not expect good news...

Bill... knowing what you've been through your thoughts and comments are appreciated...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
Sounds like a lot of hard to deal with stuff going on at the moment. For a change things at here are going pretty well, even if waaaay to busy and not enough sleep. Best wishes to you Scott and Ken.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Cheers Bret, keep feeding them dogs... ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:34 AM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles Billy...

Buzz... I know exactly what you mean - it never rains but it does tend to pour - our daughter was diagnosed with a medical condition last year and has suffered with depression since, this depression was also more recently diagnosed (unconnected to her physical condition) as something relatively unheard of over here - BPD - even the name is controversial and it is still being sorted into sub conditions... she is not taking her nan's circumstances well... we learn if she (my MiL) is fit enough fo chemo tomorrow... the best it would do is extend by a short time and not cure... as my MiL has lost 40 lbs in about a month we do not expect good news...

Bill... knowing what you've been through your thoughts and comments are appreciated...

You all are in our prayers.  When we, or a loved one, get seriously ill, we are often reminded of how precious life is and how we should cherish every minute of our time with family and friends.  Blessings.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »
Again many thanks guys  :)  We moved him to hospice care this morning. He is on morphine and not eating (hasn't really eaten in weeks) I can't imagine it will be all that long.

Sounds like my mom - the doctors were even able to tell us the exact time ("You now have 15 minutes to say good bye, final dosage.") Sister Morphine is a gentle last companion.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 05:18:23 AM »
 I am sorry about your Mom Uwe. Same for my Dad 14 years ago he went out on morphine.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
The morphine part - once they gave it to her - was probably the best part in her entire end, the months before that were more grueling. She was neither in pain nor did she at that point realize anymore what she was leaving behind. Her body didn't want to say good bye though, that last breather was a forceful convulsion and then nothing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
We were with both of my parents when they passed (mum in '92 and dad in '01), under similar circumstances and having spent an old fashioned all-night vigil with them; some might think this is a harsh comment but not meant to be - they were justifiably and blessedly put to sleep...