Author Topic: NBD G&L SB-1  (Read 6090 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
NBD G&L SB-1
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:36 AM »

Two tone 'burst over alder body with flame maple cap. #5 quartersawn satin neck. #5 = 1-3/4" wide at nut, Vintage C profile with 7.5" fingerboard radius. Great powerful mfd pick up that can make pick playing sound godly. This is a tight piece of bass!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NBD G&L SB-1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
I like that finish and wood cap a lot!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »
very nice.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
Finally some G&L love!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »
That's a beautiful and (potentially) deadly weapon there.  ;) That split MFD may be the most powerful precision pickup on earth.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
I almost got an SB-2 a few years back.  Wickedly aggressive and powerful tone.  I do like G&L.  I also love the bridge.  When I had my L-1000, I lost a saddle screw and never lost tune.  I ended up finding the screw by going back to the club the next morning.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
The pickups in my LB-100 are really strong. It's the loudest bass I own.

Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
That's one gorgeous bass. I'm a HUGE G&L fan, but I just realized both of mine are fivers: an L2500 I bought new, which G&L actually featured on their website and in print ads for a few years (ironically, I have no pics) and an L5500 in the transparent green that most shipped with: it's a G&L with EMG's as stock, and weighs about 12-14 lbs. I love them both.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »
Dennis, if you think your LB100 is loud you wouldn't believe the nuclear output of the mfd in the SB1. I had to lower the pickup, got TI Infeld superalloys that have a sound which works well with the mfd, and I'm going to add a bunch of shielding in pickup and control cavaties. Was thinking about having Tone Guard make me a gold or black anodized aluminum pg. They want me to send them my guard to make an exact scan, a process they want around $150 for and that dosen't include the cost of the guard at around $89, so kind of a lot to spend on a pg. Does your LB100 have an adjustable pole piece gotoh or is it the Kent Armstrong?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Dennis, if you think your LB100 is loud you wouldn't believe the nuclear output of the mfd in the SB1. I had to lower the pickup, got TI Infeld superalloys that have a sound which works well with the mfd, and I'm going to add a bunch of shielding in pickup and control cavaties. Was thinking about having Tone Guard make me a gold or black anodized aluminum pg. They want me to send them my guard to make an exact scan, a process they want around $150 for and that dosen't include the cost of the guard at around $89, so kind of a lot to spend on a pg. Does your LB100 have an adjustable pole piece gotoh or is it the Kent Armstrong?

You might want to buy some PG material from Stew-Mac and a PG router bit...wouldn't work on metal, but you could make yourself a bunch of PGs for less $.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »
Got my bass back from the shop with Infeld Superalloys on and it sounds mighty fine. Turns out the extra shielding may not have been necessary since my tech found a bad ground wire connection but I figure it's good to have either way. This bass with these strings is truly a marriage made in heaven to my ears! ;D

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Ooohhhhh. More G&L's! I have an SB-1, but it's the old style. This is the only photo I've got, and it may not be too easy to see.  Favorite 50's P-bass I've ever played!
Go fast, take chances.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »
Ooohhhhh. More G&L's! I have an SB-1, but it's the old style. This is the only photo I've got, and it may not be too easy to see.  Favorite 50's P-bass I've ever played!

Mike! Welcome aboard!
Clocks.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
Hey Rex Is that SB1 the same bass in your avatar pic? How'd it get green? blue nitro shade change or refin? and welcome.

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »
Thanks yall! Nah, the avatar pic is one of my L-1000s.  The SB-1 is actually red. You can see it in my band's newish video. I don't know if this will link or not, because I'm a luddite, but here's a try!  We made the video about a year and a half after making the record, and I've changed the way I play the song, so please excuse my un-synced right hand.  The recording was on the L-2000 that was stolen along with Denis' Jerry Jones, but was recovered.

Go fast, take chances.