Author Topic: Free Mr. Big Live transcribed  (Read 5143 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Free Mr. Big Live transcribed
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
Nice!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
Nice, but where are the little lines with numbers that tell you where to put your fingers?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
Tab will only limit your abilities in the long run. Music notation is the most efficient way to convey how to play something, particularly when it comes to rhythms. Learning to read music may seem hard, but the benefit justifies the effort.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »
I can't even begin to figure out tab, it's counter-intuitive to me. Probably because I learned to read way back in elementary school string class. Never even heard of tab until years later.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
I prefer standard notation for bass...although I don't read as well as I should anymore.

I prefer tab for banjo...you have all kinds of tunings, and it's pretty much impossible to play w/o tab(for me).

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »
I can't even begin to figure out tab, it's counter-intuitive to me. Probably because I learned to read way back in elementary school string class. Never even heard of tab until years later.

My experience exactly.  When I returned to playing music in the late 90's, I was quite surprised to learn that many musicians have never learned to read music.  Tab is a poor substitute IMO. I think that I struggle with tab because I have a trained response to interpret the numbers as notes.

In that Mr Big transcription - it may be a lack or artistry on my part, but I'd probably take all that stuff that's on high frets on the G string and move it down an octave.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
tab is a mystery to me as well. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
In that Mr Big transcription - it may be a lack or artistry on my part, but I'd probably take all that stuff that's on high frets on the G string and move it down an octave.

Works for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT1F0AN9-PE

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
I can read tab ok (not that I ever really need to, I'm pretty good at picking out a bass part by ear by now), but I wish I could read notes. I certainly had no talent for it, people who started with  me taking lessons from my (jazz inspired) bass teacher were much quicker on the ball. I tried for about two years and never really got to the point where I could play something at a normal speed in eights fluidly (or by the time I could I had actually learned it by heart and wasn't reading anymore). Probably has to do with the fact that I'm hardly numerate. Tab is primitive but descriptive, it's like drawing a car as a symbol rather than writing "car" in letters.

If I could sight-read I would probably play more classical pieces just for the heck of it. To learn Dee Dee Ramone bass lines it is of kinda limited use ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
I'll work on posting some tab for Uwe.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
I recently worked in a tape storage site and had my hands on the master tape; in fact I pretty much found all of there tapes, including the twenty tracks recorded for Free Live  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
I don't read music, used to in the 70s when I played trumpet in Junior High. I use tab for figuring out something I can't by ear.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
Woah! You saw the masters HERBIE? That's brilliant. Hope you had a chance to listen to them. Bet it sounds cooler without the same overdubbed applause before each track. Also, I served up a new transcription for ya Lefty, this time with Tab. Blood of the Sun from the Mountain album by Leslie West.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
No chance of listening; they are in a secure storage depot with a few other million reels - I tried to find the pics I took but presently mislaid - the names Ken or Kenny but that varies according to how annoying I am being; the "name" also changes annually and relates to the age I feel at the time... ;D

Is the passing resemblance to your avatar to a certain Mr P entirely coincidental...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...