Author Topic: She Caught The Katy transcription error in Bass Player  (Read 8884 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: She Caught The Katy transcription error in Bass Player
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
If I am trying to learn a piece of music tab seems to be more of a hinderance than an aid. It can be helpful in regard to fingering options sometimes. I write out notation on blank staff paper with a pencil. I scan my pages on a printer and will start a new thread with a piece when I can figure out how to post one. I was born in 77 but my computer skills are kinda lacking.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
Thanks- I like the transcriptions you've shared so far.  

It has been years since I've written anything down.  My ear gets me by, but its also my biggest crutch and makes me lazy.  I used to be able to sight read, but have lost most of that ability.  Back then I was using it for big band and theater gigs - Real Book, charts, etc.  I had stepped away from playing altogether for about a decade, and when I started up with bands again it was all in rock and r&B type contexts.  Hate using charts onstage in those settings (what are we, Lawrence Welk?  :) ), and so I'd just sit down with cds/mp3s and blaze through 'em in order to learn the material.

Over the past couple years I've been slowly getting back into reading and theory - mainly because of my sons (one taking violin lessons, the other piano and drums).  Been wanting to start keys lessons for myself, but haven't taken the plunge yet.  Soon...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
Isn't a transcription something you get from the doctors...?

No that ain't it.....it's when you order a bunch a magazines delivered to your house.
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
strict adherence to transcriptions take all the fun out of bass playing. especially duck type bass lines. you gotta' have room to improvise if you want, although you may find an ally in uwe.

Ouch, that hurt nofi! I was never a very good reader of music - quarter notes at 80 bpm was about as good as I got, but I can't even do that anymore, since I haven't practiced it for thirty years.

But I'm brilliant with the circle of fifths and it is funny that you can often find (very often classically trained) people who sight-read music real well, but have no idea why A Minor 7 and C Major 6 sound so similar. And just stare at you when you ask them to play the parallel key chord. That freaks me.

And I have never strictly adhered to a bass line of a cover song I've played. I might cite the famous parts, but that is about it. Come to think of it, I harly ever play any song with identical bass notes everywhere. I get bored quickly (even with my own stuff) and the fretboard is just too tempting.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:36:11 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
your last paragraph sums up my way of thinking exactly.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
Gotta agree.  I listen carefully to originals, but in many cases I either can't quite match their technique or speed.  Not a problem in most cases.  I also feel free to insert stuff that I think sounds good.  Why?  Because I'm the bass player!  If I have a question about whether it fits, I'll ask the other guys in the band and we'll run through the passage in practice and check it out.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »
Gotta agree.  I listen carefully to originals, but in many cases I either can't quite match their technique or speed.  Not a problem in most cases.  I also feel free to insert stuff that I think sounds good.  Why?  Because I'm the bass player!  If I have a question about whether it fits, I'll ask the other guys in the band and we'll run through the passage in practice and check it out.

My lot are useless that way. They either ask incredulously "was there a difference between the two?" or shrug their shoulders and add helpfully: "They all sound good!" And our chick singer, who professes to dislike heavy music, always prefers the most clichéed metal eight notes & the root, which has me telling her that there must be heavy metal side to her after all, craving to be released!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:51:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
That, my esteemed cyber-friend, is why you are the bass player and they are not!   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
i was once told that guinness use isenglass i think its called (fish product) for finings.dont know if its true..

Isinglass is derived from fish swim-bladders and is commonly used in the brewing industries for clarification/fining purposes... :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
Isinglass is derived from fish swim-bladders and is commonly used in the brewing industries for clarification/fining purposes... :puke:

I've been known to have a Guinness or three (love stouts in general).  Fish byproducts are where its at! 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
is that barnes and barnes.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
is that barnes and barnes.

Yep. Art Barnes = Billy Mumy from Lost In Space

He probably didn't catch the Katy.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »
The squirrel in my avatar has been enjoying Guinness for years now as it's from one of their rather surreal adverts... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...