Author Topic: She Caught The Katy transcription error in Bass Player  (Read 8895 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
She Caught The Katy transcription error in Bass Player
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
If anyone's checked out Brian Fox's transcription of Dunn's line in the Sept. issue of Bass Player you may notice a slight mistake. The Em7flat5 bars should be simply E diminished and the last two notes should be C natural and D flat. This is in bars 20, 36, 64 and 80.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

nofi

• View Profile
Re: She Caught The Katy transcription error in Bass Player
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:36:37 AM »
strict adherence to transcriptions take all the fun out of bass playing. especially duck type bass lines. you gotta' have room to improvise if you want, although you may find an ally in uwe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:14:55 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »
Isn't a transcription something you get from the doctors...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Isn't a transcription something you get from the doctors...?

Yeah, I think it comes in a bag, hanging on a stand, and a tube/needle attached to your arm.   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
It's an E, I don't care whether it's diminished, chrome-plated or Gothic.  E?  Got it!

As Robert Redford said to the indian girl in Jeremiah Johnson, "that is all you need to know."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
strict adherence to transcriptions take all the fun out of bass playing. especially duck type bass lines. you gotta' have room to improvise if you want, although you may find an ally in uwe.
   I'm all for having the freedom to interpret bass lines, but playing that line as it was written by Mr. Fox has the same effect as nails on a chalkboard for me. Also I was hoping to get the ball rolling on a little more musical discussion on this board than what I've seen. I have a bunch of my own transcriptions that I wouldn't mind having some constructive criticism on if I could figure out how to post. (photobucket?) Hey Herbie what's your favourite ale?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
It's an E, I don't care whether it's diminished, chrome-plated or Gothic.  E?  Got it!

As Robert Redford said to the indian girl in Jeremiah Johnson, "that is all you need to know."

Actually I think it is an E flat, which is just a little different.

And you should care if it is chrome plated because chrome plated pickups sound better on chrome chords.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
Actually I think it is an E flat, which is just a little different.

And you should care if it is chrome plated because chrome plated pickups sound better on chrome chords.

E flat is indeed different!

I totally agree about the chrome plated pickups.  Definitely improve sound, reduce finger blisters, clear the sinuses and reduce incidence of the common cold.  All scientifimockilly proved fax.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »
   I'm all for having the freedom to interpret bass lines, but playing that line as it was written by Mr. Fox has the same effect as nails on a chalkboard for me. Also I was hoping to get the ball rolling on a little more musical discussion on this board than what I've seen. I have a bunch of my own transcriptions that I wouldn't mind having some constructive criticism on if I could figure out how to post. (photobucket?) Hey Herbie what's your favourite ale?

An error in a transcription certainly can make a line sound bad. That said, I believe this is the first mention of any transcription in the 4 1/2 years of this forum's existence.  Personally, I don't find transcriptions useful. You're welcome to post your own, just please don't be offended if there's not a lot of interest.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
Hey Herbie what's your favourite ale?

London Pride or Spitfire or Doom Bar or... bottles only as a strict veggie... :rolleyes: :mrgreen: oh yeah, and Weston's cider... (hic) and your own tipple, Mr 4...?

A young Steve Vai certainly impressed Mr Zappa when he started transmogrifying his solos...

Oh yeah, keeping people on thread round here is er... forgot to add... Guinness won't say whether their products are or aint, much to my disgust...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
i was once told that guinness use isenglass i think its called (fish product) for finings.dont know if its true..
Louder bass!.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
I had Caledonian 80 Shilling on Cask when I was in Edinburgh for the Fringe festival. It was pretty tasty as well as the real ales from Brains when I was in Wales. Bulmer's Perry and Cider were nice too. I love to transcribe and feel the practice has immensely benefited my playing skills.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
I think what benefits me is the listening that precedes transcribing.  It's always tempting for me to launch into something instead of listening to it a couple of times to get the nuances and feel of the piece.

Transcribing is one thing - tab is another.  I marvel at how much useless tab there is online, much of it played much higher up the fretboard than it needs to be.  I have a lingering suspicion that most people who publish tabs think it's cool to always play on the 5th fret and higher.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Never have used tab to play bass, but...when I strap on a banjo, tab can save an extraordinary amount of time...internet tab is not always right but it usually gets me close enough that my ear will go the rest of the way.

YMMV

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
I am definitely into analysis of various bassists, and transcription is a way to get deep into a player's style. I remember trying to transcribe a couple of things while I was in college - actually, I think it was just Mike Gordon's bassline in Phish's "You Enjoy Myself" - my abilities were woefully inadequate - I learned how to read music to play piano as a kid but I learned how to play bass and guitar by ear - so I can't transcribe - it would definitely be cool to look at yours though!