Author Topic: G3 Reissue  (Read 24979 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: G3 Reissue
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »

Dave.....Did a 3 point bite you in the butt at some distant past occasion?  ;)

No, I just think it's a poor design and it's clunky and ugly to boot.

Nothing at all wrong with the tune-o-matic principle, this is just the wrong way to implement it.

No matter how many years Gibson has used it, it's not too late for them to correct their mistake!  :P

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »

I think it gets a lot of undeserved hate - I let Lull do my set ups, they all work/play great, as apperances go I prefer it to most anything else - I like two points tho. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
The new pickups layout and visible pole pieces make it look a bit Strat-ish IMHO.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
If you have grown up like me thinking that Ritchie Blackmore was God you appreciate a Strat look!  :mrgreen:

Actually reminds me more of what EBMM has on their Bongos etc and I've always loved that fat pole piece look, it is what I found most enticing when the Stingrays first came out. Never mind how the darn things always get in the way of my pick and chew up my beloved Heribas!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
No, I just think it's a poor design and it's clunky and ugly to boot.

Nothing at all wrong with the tune-o-matic principle, this is just the wrong way to implement it.

No matter how many years Gibson has used it, it's not too late for them to correct their mistake!  :P

I dissent, not clunky, but "airy" yet stable and "sustainy", of timeless elegance. And you can also clean up underneath it, tell me one other bridge that satisfies our craving for cleanliness being next to Godliness. Just imagine the myriads of bacteria hidden away underneath other (base-mounted) bridges and eating away the wood undetectedly ...  :-\

I loved it first time I saw it. Archaic, idiosyncratic. As American as tail fins on a Buick. The bison of bridges. It looked like no other bridge, you had to use large manly tools with it, not flimsy allen wrenches that fall to the floor and you never see them again. A right size screwdriver for a three point falls to the floor and you might have a hole in the floor, but you'll find that screwdriver. Moreover, it can be used for efficient self-defense if someone tries to take the three point (with bass attached) away from you.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
The way those pups look and are positioned apart, I can't believe that you can only have them on as pairs as on the original where they were single coils and you always had (at least) two working to cancel hum (making for a broader magnetic field too). These are probably stacked humbuckers and work by themselves. I liked that set-up on the BFG LP Bass already, there really should be more three pup basses out there, always had a soft spot for them. More is more.  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

I think it's more likely that you have a "hard spot" for them  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
I loved it first time I saw it. Archaic, idiosyncratic. As American as tail fins on a Buick. The bison of bridges. ...

Bisons were hunted to near-extinction. Can we hope the three-point meets the same fate? You wouldn't be allowed to own one, they would be preserved in a museum of curiosities, maybe one of Ripley's Believe It or Not! Odditoriums.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »
Saw this over at Jules'

Not bad!!

Looks like Gibson finally managed to design new pickups (for) themselves. No TB+ in disguise (that would have been very inappropriate), no J-bass single single coils (like the RD reissue).

They were not JAZZ PICKUPS, jazz pickups are from Fender Jazz basses, when will you guys learn?

;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
The original three pup set-up was - like all good things - a German invention, Bill Lawrence. He certainly got it right, there is hardly another Gibson long scale with as varied a sound. Make that varied usable sounds. In a year where the Stingray set out to conquer the world, the look of that three pup set-up just wasn't very alluring. Compared to the novelty effect of the sliding Grabber and the conservative Ripper, the G-3 always looked like a nerdish afterthought.

The new pups look a lot cooler.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:12 AM »

Those pups look kinda like Seymour Duncan '51 P Single coils.... Big Strat pickups.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »
Either way its a nice looking bass.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
The original three pup set-up was - like all good things - a German invention, Bill Lawrence. He certainly got it right, there is hardly another Gibson long scale with as varied a sound. Make that varied usable sounds. In a year where the Stingray set out to conquer the world, the look of that three pup set-up just wasn't very alluring. Compared to the novelty effect of the sliding Grabber and the conservative Ripper, the G-3 always looked like a nerdish afterthought.

The new pups look a lot cooler.
The new pups look cooler ?????? What could be cooler than see through pink plastic?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
It's certainly possible that Gibson is having Seymour build theses pickups to spec. Although they may be similar, I doubt they are actual '51 P pickups. Only the Quarter Pounder version would have polepieces that big, and all versions have wider polepiece spacing than the string spacing of a G-3 with 3-point should have. We won't know until someone has one in hand.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
The new pups look cooler ?????? What could be cooler than see through pink plastic?

Unfortunately, both my G-3s already have the opaque black casing of the pups. Not that I thought the see-throug ones looked cool, "interesting" more like.