Author Topic: Jaguar Bass  (Read 25369 times)

angrymatt

• View Profile
Jaguar Bass
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »
Looks like the other two colors (Alpine White and Sunburst) are available in the states now.  I might need me a white one.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
Re: Jaguar Bass
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
I noticed that myself the other day. I'm a big fan of the Jaguar and it's about time they released those colors again here in the states. The market/mark-up for those on eBay is huge. About $200-$300 more + shipping stateside.
I almost had a relative pick one of those up when he was supposed to honeymoon in Japan. But he wasn't able to go due to an emergency surgery.

They have it listed under the Fender site now also, for those that haven't seen the magnificence that is Sunburst and Vintage White. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259505506

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
Those two colours ara a lot nicer than black and red!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »

IMHO a black Jag bass looks much better with a b/w/b pickguard. This pic is from a Jeannie Pickguards eBay auction page:

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo White ! Now that I could impulse buy !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

JimmyBond8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:32:40 AM »

I agree. They're very eye catching, if only because they don't have the white pg.

IMHO a black Jag bass looks much better with a b/w/b pickguard. This pic is from a Jeannie Pickguards eBay auction page:

I Agree. Actually the Red would look good with one too (at least in my mind).
Or I've seen the black with a Pearl pg that also looks nice.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
I think the black would look wicked with a tort pickguard.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
Tort belongs on tortoises and nowhere else.  :P  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
I think the Jag basses look great! The one thing I'd read about them was that they tend to have hum and RF problems until the owner adds shielding.

So I grabbed one at Geetar Center and tried it out...plugged it in, first thing I heard was hum.  I still like the looks, but I think the reports are probably right.  If you get one, plan to spend some time shielding the cavities and cleaning up the wiring.

I want one.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:36:11 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:34:42 AM »
I think the sunburst and white versions look much better than the red and black ones and it's a pity we had to wait taht long before these colours arrived in Europe.

I have one problem with the Jag. The J pick ups. They should have made a nice P90 like cover for the pick ups. Or even better: Chrome!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:03:01 AM »
I really can't see the appeal. To me the switches make it look cheap, and even if I could get over that, I agree with Chris that the J pups don't look right. If, on top of that, it hums, well, I just don't get it.

JimmyBond8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
I have one problem with the Jag. The J pick ups. They should have made a nice P90 like cover for the pick ups. Or even better: Chrome!
I agree with that completely. I've thought seriously about buying one, shielding the cavities (and whatever else it may take to eliminate the hum, if its present), and putting in a pair of Kent Armstrong Lipstick jazz Pickups (Like the Lakland Scheff). I just wish the pickups were a little farther apart like the Scheff.
Ohh my 'Prime Rib' dreams and ambitions. Too bad they're on a budget of 'PB&J's'  ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
I really can't see the appeal. To me the switches make it look cheap, and even if I could get over that, I agree with Chris that the J pups don't look right. If, on top of that, it hums, well, I just don't get it.
   The look without the switches............................or the price tag ! Btw I like SX basses very much. http://www.rondomusic.com/sjmbt3ts.html
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
The nicest Jag basses I ever saw were from a Custom Shop run of four from around 1999-2000. Sherwood Green metallic, white competition stripes (a la the competition Mustangs), no guard or switches, one twin-jazz bridge pickup, passive controls. One of them was for sale at Elderly for about $1500-1600. I should have bought it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »
Pics?