Author Topic: '51 CIJ P pup & bridgeI  (Read 1837 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
'51 CIJ P pup & bridgeI
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
I've got a really nice lightweight balanced late 90's '51 ri.  It has the original SD that it came with, however the E string is lacking in response. I changed the string to see if it happened to be a dead E but same thing. Anybody has/had issues with one of these?. Could always just get another from SD or Bartolini but am open to other suggestions.
 This also has that string through bridge with just the 2 saddles which does sometimes limit the adjustment, but never really bothered me UNless I need to lower that E and keep the A from buzzing.
I have an extra Badass II but would rather use something else. Anyone know of another bridge that will drop in on one of these?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: '51 CIJ P pup & bridgeI
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
I've got a really nice lightweight balanced late 90's '51 ri.  It has the original SD that it came with, however the E string is lacking in response. I changed the string to see if it happened to be a dead E but same thing. Anybody has/had issues with one of these?. Could always just get another from SD or Bartolini but am open to other suggestions.
 This also has that string through bridge with just the 2 saddles which does sometimes limit the adjustment, but never really bothered me UNless I need to lower that E and keep the A from buzzing.
I have an extra Badass II but would rather use something else. Anyone know of another bridge that will drop in on one of these?

I have one also, mine didn't come with an SD, yours is the first mention of them having that pickup.  I did switch mine to an SD for a while  but didn't notice that much difference in tone.  The SD had 'pushback' wire and the stock pup had the standard thin plastic coated wires typical of Japanese Fender bass pickups.

You can stagger the height of the bridge screws to follow the fretboard radius to eliminate the A buzz.  What strings are you using?  Pickup height adjustment is also very important.  Try raising the bass side of the pickup. 

This Wilkinson is a drop in bridge that has more adjustment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILKINSON-GOTOH-TILT-SADDLE-BRIDGE-51-P-TELE-BASS-/250924617893

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
Unless you're bent on keeping the 2x2 bridge principle I'd suggest a STB Fender Vintage DeLuxe bridge ( worked like a charm on my CS 51-er: more definition on the lows and beefier mids ..... )
Experience is the ultimate teacher

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Not bent on the 2x2 bridge and that STB Fender deluxe looks like what the doctor ordered and has both string anchor options.
I just replaced a roundwound (make unknown) set with GHS 45-95 flats. A little clanky sounding on this '51, but brand new so I'll try some of my favorite old out of production Dean Markley flats.
Don't know what it is but just having turned 60 suddenly precisions are coming into my life and they never appealed to me before (Jazz always did besides Hofners, Guilds, Epiphones, Gibson TB, PRS 4's, Celinders) even thouigh I had a few 40 years ago., I think simplicity is what is appealing.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
 That STB deluxe bridge is a hard one to get right now(in the US). The 2 places I tried are both out of stock.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »

Don't know what it is but just having turned 60 suddenly precisions are coming into my life and they never appealed to me before (Jazz always did besides Hofners, Guilds, Epiphones, Gibson TB, PRS 4's, Celinders) even thouigh I had a few 40 years ago., I think simplicity is what is appealing.

Wait a few more years and you'll realize the 2 saddle bridge is perfectly adequate, especially with flats. ;D