Author Topic: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...  (Read 51145 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
I like the South of the US. The music, the food, the people, the landscape. But I've never reduced its identity to that flag which only existed for a fleeting moment in its overall history. Rhett Butler said beforehand that the whole thing was a bad idea, so there, they should have listened to him and Tara might still be there (if it could actually pay its workforce picking cotton that is)!  :mrgreen:

Some historical symbols become irrevocably tainted. By (i) what they (at least in part) stood for in history or (ii) by groups and individuals in current times that have adopted them for their own vile causes.

I wouldn't want to gig before a man size Waffen-SS insignia backdrop either. Wrong cause back then, wrong company today. And arguing "Hey, it's not a political symbol, it is not to condone the crimes and wrong goals of the Waffen-SS, but they were a splendid fighting unit!" just wouldn't cut it IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE1axH-PocI
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:51:17 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »
I was mostly interested in the bass and the music... :-[

I know. There is no issue with either the bass or the music nor with you posting the vid. I like Blackberry Smoke myself, but the backdrop is unfortunate and in this day and age they should be aware of that. They are not Ted Nugent-type buffoons.

I am also not aware of any Northern US rock bands touring the South of the States with this as a backdrop:

Probably wouldn't go down that well either.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »
Relax Uwe.
It is a performance from the Cinemax series Quarry.
A series dated in the early seventies if I'm not mistaken.
It's not a Blackberry Smoke concert.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
The rebel flag is not going anywhere. It might have gradually died out, but the reaction to the statue-destroying Maoists has secured its place for a long time to come.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Uwe, if it makes you feel better, most folks around here didn't give a shit either way about that flag until it was made part of their propaganda briefings on how to stop the damn librulls from ruining their lives around 30 years ago. Now, all those wonderful northern transplants with their faux "Southern" culture can't get enough of it. There truthfully IS some "historical" and "heritage" context to it locally too: my ancestors (and most of the other folks from around here) shot the assholes carrying it in that war. I have seen the diehards who are neither actively racist (passive is a debate unto itself) nor particularly connected or informed politically who have flown it for years the same way American punks in the 80's plugged anarchy, more a "f*** you" to 'the man/the gubmint/the system than a declaration of allegiance to slave owning gentry, my whole life but we mostly just snickered at them and said, "Bless their hearts. They don't know any better."

Back to the bass: I love that tone in the video and could even believe it was coming from that Kustom he's plugged into.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2017, 06:57:59 AM »
I watched that show, It was pretty good and I was bummed when it didn't come back. It took place in Memphis in 1972, so technically the flag makes more sense being there than the bass does  ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »
Well, it's not that far off. The Les Paul Signature was introduced in 1973.  ;)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
It gives the show a whole HG Wells vibe  :toast:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
The rebel flag is not going anywhere. It might have gradually died out, but the reaction to the statue-destroying Maoists has secured its place for a long time to come.

You are correct and I think only people who've lived in the South a long time can understand.  The rebel flag was becoming a common relic of the past.  Very few people paid any attention to it at all or cared much about it one way or another.  When ZZ Top did this video in 1990, the rebel flag in the background is nothing much more than a stage prop. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0968f0VWvd8

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
Those basses are even cooler considering how ubiquitous the Epiphone has become. Didn't Jack say the pickups could be hit or miss? i wasn't too worried about being considered a racist for watching Dukes of Hazard reruns as a kid or listening to Pantera. I could see how being a David Allen Coe fan might rub people the wrong way but he wrote plenty of good songs too.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
I have to plead ignorance on knowing much of anything about David Allen Coe.  But I think that may be him at the beginning of this Johnny Cash Video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
That's not him. I won't post them here but his adults only songs are good stuff.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
I love that tone in the video and could even believe it was coming from that Kustom he's plugged into.

Those Kustoms (ss right?) are surprisingly decent amps.  Not as heavily voiced as other amps (ampeg sounds like ampeg); it will let the bass's character come through, if you pick the right speaker to go with it.  I might have got lucky when I hit a studio a few years ago with one that it worked out (I brought mu 115rh cab and used a hobbit and an RD); I have also heard them sound bad, but usually through some shitty cab.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
Those Kustoms (ss right?) are surprisingly decent amps.  Not as heavily voiced as other amps (ampeg sounds like ampeg); it will let the bass's character come through, if you pick the right speaker to go with it.  I might have got lucky when I hit a studio a few years ago with one that it worked out (I brought mu 115rh cab and used a hobbit and an RD); I have also heard them sound bad, but usually through some shitty cab.

Kustom, along with Earth (which IIRC was the same company) were early s/s. edit: Plush too; forgot about them!

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21916-ask-amp-man-the-mysterious-tusc

The article glosses over it but many of Peavey's early designs were copies of  the aforementioned.  CCR was their biggest claim to fame back in the day. All of the ones I have heard have been trash, which is why I was surprised by the video. Across the board, I've found them thin, weak, and quiet. Keep in mind these were all old and probably in need of some service, but it has been every one. I liked the tone in that video; it was nothing like I know Kustoms to sound.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:57:58 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »
That's not him. I won't post them here but his adults only songs are good stuff.

According to this, that's producer Rick Rubin. 

https://thedailyhatch.org/2012/05/11/people-in-the-johnny-cash-video-gods-gonna-cut-you-down/

--Blaise Pascal