Author Topic: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...  (Read 51161 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
To me the DC looks good in any color. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
Do epi Signatures count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuK6n2Lkza0

Met (some of) these guys a decade or so ago, all really down to earth.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
Oh yeah, the Epi JC Sig counts.

Re the Danos - what's the diff between a Hodad and DC?  Same body shape and pickups, right (I think maybe the bridge pup was not as close to the bridge on the Hodad maybe)?  That is the one Dano I was lusting for for a while (Hodad; short lived model wasn't it?).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
In my opinion, the Hodad looks too much like a cross between a Dano and a Mosrite to please Danelectro purists.  I like it, but maybe I'm not a purist.  I think the review from Music Radar was very accurate.  Except that guy wrote that in 2013 and had no way of knowing the bass would be discontinued in 2016.  Now if you want to buy a new Dano the only ones being sold at this point are Longhorns and the '56 Singlecut bass.  As for the best looking, I'd also favor the DC (silver sparkle.)  But if you find one of those, of course, it will have to be used.  I've never even got a chance to play one. 

Now back to Les Paul basses. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:51 AM »
Oh yeah, the Epi JC Sig counts.

Re the Danos - what's the diff between a Hodad and DC?  Same body shape and pickups, right (I think maybe the bridge pup was not as close to the bridge on the Hodad maybe)?  That is the one Dano I was lusting for for a while (Hodad; short lived model wasn't it?).

Different body shape. The DC is symmetrical.
The Hodad is the asymmetrical moserite-like body.
Same pickups, or at least they look the same.
There's a picture of my silver sparkle DC somewhere earlier in this thread.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2016, 06:00:53 AM »
Same pickups, or at least they look the same.
There's a picture of my silver sparkle DC somewhere earlier in this thread.

Maybe because it's asymmetrical, the Hodad can also be slightly uncomfortable to play sitting down.  It does fine when you're standing up, though, and there is not even a hint of neck dive. 

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 06:30:33 AM »

Huh, totally missrememberred that; had to google image the Hodad to remember.   I saw your DC earlier and conflated the 2.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
The DC does fine in the neck dive department as well, because they neck weighs about as much as a toothpick. I think it IS a toothpick.

I did do two slight mods to my DC that improved it a lot, I think:

* The plastic stock strap buttons are AWFUL. They pop right out of the body if you tug on them.  I drilled out the hole (easy with these kooky materials), glued in a piece of hardwood dowel, drilled a 1/8" hole in the dowel, and screwed in my favorite Dunlop Dual-Design strap buttons, which (mostly) hide the dowel. No more dropping the bass ever!

* I wanted the pickups closer to the strings. They're pretty weak, cool tone but not much output.  The pickup height is adjusted by screws through the BACK of the body, which works okay, except that they cannot be raised very close to the strings at all because there's nothing pushing the pickups up - they will flop around in the body long before you run out of screw length.  So I took them out and wedged some foam under them. That did the trick.

I also have a U2 guitar of the same vintage (1999ish?), which is basically a single-cut six-string version with all the same hardware.  I did the same two mods to it too.

If I were going to change anything else on the bass I'd replace the tuners, which are hard to turn with those little buttons, but do stay in tune pretty well.  I'd be afraid of adding weight to the headstock though.
The crude quasi-adjustable bridge doesn't bother me much (I can get the intonation pretty good), except that the wrapping on the E string tends to extend past the saddle, so the E sounds a bit deadened. I notice it when playing alone, but it doesn't stand out in a band context.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
One of my favorite bands of today doing a cover of the Allman Brothers.
Bass player Richard Turner is playing a Les Paul Signature bass.

https://youtu.be/g8dPch9p4P0

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
They really do ABB stuff well.  Here is one featuring Gregg Allman himself.  (Just audio, though, unfortunately.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfD5DVahW8&list=PLafvie0n6woOFu2deaa9JlEdCRVFm9kOU

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
Jo Cox was the British Labour MP murdered last year by some nutcase. This was a single to commemorate her and it features a very early (holy immaculate three-point!) pre-Warwick bridge sunburst Les Paul Standard bass played by former MP Ian Cawsey of the British Parliament house band MP4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP4_(band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF2llqLzxA

And to keep this from getting too political: MP4 consists of Labour, Scottish National Party and Conservative MPs. No UKIP though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:00:12 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »
If your name isn't Peter Garrett (Midnight Oil), or you weren't a musician first (he was), stay the hell away from music if you're a politician.  Seriously, it's always horrible, and usually mind-bogglingly ironic.

I didn't need to hear this, but I had to because he was the fookin PM and all the news were running it. youtube.com/watch?v=C5ecDo74Vkc (< intentionally not embeded in order to not propogate the cruelty, but for reference for the masochists among us).

There's also vids of him doing With a Little Help from my Friends (did I mention he's ultra-conservative?), Jumpin Jack Flash and Sweet Caroline (which is the only one that remotely makes any sense for him to touch).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
Maybe Geddy, Neil and Alex should become politicians now that they have stopped touring?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
Maybe Geddy, Neil and Alex should become politicians now that they have stopped touring?

They'd certainly win, but I wonder what party they 'd run for.  Not sure if it would be worth splitting their fandom over it; that's their retirement fund.

Err... when did he stop being politically orientated...? ;)

Not sure what you mean, but I didn't mean that musicians shouldn't be political; but that politicians shouldn't be musical (the Commutative Law of Arithmetic does not apply).