Author Topic: Need help with 4003 saddles  (Read 7130 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with 4003 saddles
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
Same with the 650 series guitars. Like the 4004 models, they have the traditional shape with modern features. And they do sell, but if RIC dropped the traditional models and produced the 650 and 4004 series only, they would be belly up in a few short years and the prices of used traditional models would go through the roof.  Most buyers want the traditional models, warts and all.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »
Same with the 650 series guitars. Like the 4004 models, they have the traditional shape with modern features. And they do sell, but if RIC dropped the traditional models and produced the 650 and 4004 series only, they would be belly up in a few short years and the prices of used traditional models would go through the roof.  Most buyers want the traditional models, warts and all.

I had a Cheyenne for awhile.  Nice bass, weak and anemic tone and output.  I flipped it.  I agree the 4003 is a classic that shouldn't change except for the lousy saddle design.  It wouldn't mean losing the classic bridge look!  This isn't rocket science!   :P
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:20 AM »
I had a Cheyenne about the same time as you did. Bought it from Mark Furlong and sold it to Paul Boyer (aren't forums great?). Its tone was different. It wasn't aggressive like a 4003. Tamer? Maybe. I wouldn't call it anemic, though. The output was pretty high.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
I had a Cheyenne about the same time as you did. Bought it from Mark Furlong and sold it to Paul Boyer (aren't forums great?). Its tone was different. It wasn't aggressive like a 4003. Tamer? Maybe. I wouldn't call it anemic, though. The output was pretty high.

Still have it, although modified to Vol/Vol/Tone control. Yeah, don't understand the "anemic" comment. Raising the pickups may have been needed.

Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 07:59:53 AM »
In my case, memory is what it is, not perfect by any means.   Bottom line, it didn't impress me enough to keep it.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
Still have it, although modified to Vol/Vol/Tone control. Yeah, don't understand the "anemic" comment. Raising the pickups may have been needed.

Very 64 that headstock, looks superb.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
They are beautiful for sure.  Just didn't thrill me.