Author Topic: 1960 EBO Refurb  (Read 1715 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
1960 EBO Refurb
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
I stripped to natural, refinned and installed the 1968 Tele bass pickup in 1974 or so.  Decided to revisit that after seeing a white EBO on Ebay.

Here's what it looked like most recently.  Pickguard made from thin plastic and a pair of scissors a while back, years of rusty hardware.

When I had refinned it I carefully removed the layer of toned lacquer and reshot with acrylic water white lacquer...at least I never found a chrome pickup cover!  Did a fairly good job on resizing the holes for the Schallers I had installed at age 20.

'67 EB2 for comparison

Had to resize the holes again for the Hipshot Ultralites.  I used some Mohawk rattlecan toner to amber up the inlays.  In retrospect I would have gone with a lighter toner but it definitely pops.  The great thing about 35 year old lacquer is you wipe it with some naptha to remove any grease or polish and reshoot it immediately with no further prep, the toner and clear melt right in.  When it dries you still have the original checking in the finish.

I'd been trying to figure out how to make a pick guard that had the holes in exactly the same place as the original which of course had been tossed long ago with the banjos.

Holes marked on clear plastic

Then I taped the plastic to the old 'pick guard' and drilled tru both to make an accurate template for the new guard.

The old hardware buffed and tone pros studs installed.  Tele pup freshened up.  Those are the original knobs.

Hipshots use the same screw holes as the Schallers and cover up the original banjo holes.  When I did the original refin I left a small rectangle of cherry fin over the stamped serial number.  It's faded to match the natural mahogany.  Would have been nice to have shorter shafts on the Hipshots for this small headstock, usually they're not long enough.

Control cavity with Gibson 3 way switch, huge orange drop Sprague and the original cherry finish.  I'm sure Steve helped me figure out the wiring but I can tell it's my crappy soldering.  I have improved in that area over the years.

I'm glad I finally got this done!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:32:56 AM by dadagoboi »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: 1960 EBO Refurb
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »
i think you have done it well Carlo.  :toast:
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
very nice indeed.hows it sounding?. 
Louder bass!.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »
very nice indeed.hows it sounding?. 

Thanks guys.  The neck pickup alone is barely audible but when mixed with the strong mudbucker, tone is balanced and output good.  I'm getting two usable sounds right now and that's enough.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:28:25 AM »
Carlo, that's beautiful! Well done!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.