Author Topic: 'Bird of a different feather'  (Read 4040 times)

Spiritbass

• View Profile
'Bird of a different feather'
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
I thought you guys might enjoy this different take on a Fenderbird. It started out as a Squier Jaguar Special HB, but with help from Dadagoboi and JohnK, turned into a cool one-off I think of as the 'ThunderJag'. As a lot of you know, Carlo was the instigator behind the wonderful Thunderbucker pickups (these are '63's). He gave me the pickup placement specs from one of his original Thunderbird IV's, John did the routing, custom guard, plastic spacer (below chrome surround), new nut, fret polish, and setup. I removed the original preamp and converted it to V/V/T into a Redeemer circuit. Very fun and easy-playing bass. I just use my fingers these days, but this thing would kill with a pick and a bit of tube grit... :o

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:43:34 AM by Spiritbass »

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: 'Bird of a different feather'
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
Handsome  Bitch !
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »
Very cool!! I like it!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:01 AM »
Nice bass.  Glad you appreciated the help, the name's Carlo.  I was happy to give you a full refund on your JAEbird.  I would have appreciated the courtesy of a response when I respectfully inquired why you returned it.  Especially since customization you requested made it difficult to resell the bass.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:16:58 AM by dadagoboi »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:20:33 AM »
Nice!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen. It turned out to be a nice vehicle for these killer pickups.

Sorry for the typo Carlo, I should have checked my typing more thoroughly before posting. I am a fisherman who chooses whether or not to take the bait himself. God bless you, brother.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
Nice bass.  Glad you appreciated the help, the name's Carlo.  I was happy to give you a full refund on your JAEbird.  I would have appreciated the courtesy of a response when I respectfully inquired why you returned it.  Especially since customization you requested made it difficult to resell the bass.

This is my one and only reply to you on this subject Carlo. As you well know, customization in this instance consisted of: a black pearloid pickguard with black screws, period-correct headstock logo, and Res-o-lite tuners. The tuners, pickguard, and screws are easily changed and not many players object to having a Fender logo on the headstock - most find it desirable. It's your decision to put the commissioner's screen name in the neck pocket - I did not request it. After I placed my order with you and sent my Squier to John, I read the whole embarassing incident between you two on 'that other forum' and was wondering just what I had gotten myself into. A very uncomfortable situation, to say the least. While you were building this bass, and John was working on the other, I felt that I shouldn't even mention your name to him or his to you and I did not do so. My decision to ask you for a refund was not based on any lasting impressions, feelings, or predjudice resulting from that mess. Very simply, what you sent me was in my judgement, not worth what I sent you. Because you built and finished it, you know exactly what you sent me. That is why I didn't think it necessary to point out the aspects that made it unacceptable to me in consideration of the price I paid. I wish nothing but the best for you Carlo, and would like to remain at peace with both you and John.

Sincerely,

Ken
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:58:55 PM by Spiritbass »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:56:02 AM »
Hey look, a baby wolf! (points in the other direction)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »
Or, as Frito Bugger said in the classic lampoon Bored of the Rings  "Look - a Winged Victory of Samothrace!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
"This paperback edition, and no other, has been published solely for the purpose of making a few fast bucks. Those who approve of courtesy to a certain other living author will not touch this gobbler with a ten-foot battle-lance."
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
Denis, you are my Hero Du Jour!

Loved that book.  Best character names ever.....

Dildo Bugger of Bag Eye

Eörache, daughter of Eörlobe

Goodgulf Greyteeth, the good wizard

Tim Benzedrine

Sorhed, the evil wizard, ruler of Fordor

The Nozdrul

....and many others.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »
 :toast:

Without a doubt it's one of the funniest and most brilliant books I've ever read! The map at the front of the book is hysterically funny!
Clocks.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »
You reference whizzed right over my head. Heard of the book but never read it. The only association I could make was baby wolf = killer pup...  ???

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Bored-Rings-Parody-J-R-R-Tolkiens/dp/B000EPFVPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332212225&sr=8-1

If you have read the trilogy, this will be a pleasure to read. If not, don't bother.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:08 AM »
It's My Party and I'll Snub Who I Want To.
Clocks.