Author Topic: Gibson lap steels and Thunderbird pickups  (Read 5296 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Gibson lap steels and Thunderbird pickups
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
Now we know where they got the tooling for the TBird pup!  The magnets in a 60s TBird are the same as in Steve's '60 Melody Maker but the coils are different.  I'd love to see what the inside of that one looks like.  Looks like it's a completely different magnet and coil set up from a TBird.  You can see what a TBird coil looks like here:

http://thunderbuckerranch.com/

Lap steels used the P-90, that's all they needed for 6 strings.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
I may have to go back and buy this thing, why I don't know. But with the Thunderbird connection and besides it is just so beautiful.

I agree. I have this just because (I think) it's so beautiful:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Way cool. (and pedals, too) Sure does look similar - deluxe version with adjustable polepieces rather than the bar magnets.

No, that pickup is not similar. It's the conventional humbucker design, as mentioned in the excerpt from Duchossoir's book.

I am just thrilled to be able to confirm this for myself. When I started at the House of Guitars in '76 they literally had piles of lap/pedal steels (really I mean piles) and I don't remember any with a Thunderbird like pup, they all had P90 looking units. I may have to go back and buy this thing, why I don't know. But with the Thunderbird connection and besides it is just so beautiful.

I agree that this one is beautiful but it doesn't have a Thunderbird connection.

Keep in mind that what Lull is talking about is a pickup from an 8-string lap steel that was discontinued in 1962. This is a pedal steel that used the original PAF design. I'd love to own it too but its pickup is not the basis for the Thunderbird pickup.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
No, that pickup is not similar. It's the conventional humbucker design, as mentioned in the excerpt from Duchossoir's book.

I expect the internals are not similar - I do wonder about the cover, however, as it looks like it could be from the same die (curious if the size is the same - it looks close).

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
As a piece of art, the Gibson steel is way cool...I have always wanted to play steel...I loved those old Ernest Tubb records...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I am just thrilled to be able to confirm this for myself. When I started at the House of Guitars in '76 they literally had piles of lap/pedal steels (really I mean piles) and I don't remember any with a Thunderbird like pup, they all had P90 looking units. I may have to go back and buy this thing, why I don't know. But with the Thunderbird connection and besides it is just so beautiful.

Buy it and learn to play it - even in upstate NY there's demand for country music and damn few steel players.  Plus, when you get too old to stand you can drive your Rascal right up to this thing and gig away  ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
 That's why I'm learning the mandolin, I figure once i am no longer able to wield the mighty bass I should at least be able to lift a mandolin!
Buy it and learn to play it - even in upstate NY there's demand for country music and damn few steel players.  Plus, when you get too old to stand you can drive your Rascal right up to this thing and gig away  ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
I've long had half a mind to pick up a cheap lap steel and try to learn to play it - no real good reason why but maybe it's David Lindley's old stuff.  I could drive the cat insane ;D

Let me know how the mandolin thing works out - I was interested enough as a kid to ask for one and lessons, after I had been playing bass for about two years, my mom told me to buy the mandolin and she would pay for lessons.  I never had the cash to buy even a cheap one but the interest is still there.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
I'd love to learn to play a pedal steel, takes a lot of study though. And you really have to know what you're buying. Vintage Gibsons and Fenders are rarely used by pros. They just don't have features that are commonly used today.