Author Topic: Gibson lap steels and Thunderbird pickups  (Read 5302 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Gibson lap steels and Thunderbird pickups
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
 I have long heard that early Gibson lap steel pickups were the precursor to the Thunderbird pickup. I stopped by a local shop today and they had a 1960 Gibson pedal steel with a pickup that looks just like a Thunderbird pup but with two rows of pole pieces. A first for me! I have heard of this connection but never seen it in person. I took pics with my cell phone, never posted pics from it, I will try and post them, If not I'll go back tomorrow with my camera.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:24:25 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Gibson lap steels and Thunderbird pickups
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Try sending the pics from your phone to your email. Then, go from there.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
I thought they were built like two Melody Maker guitar coils. Carlo and Steve (ThunderBucker) should know more.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Gibson pedal steels and Thunderbird pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:14 AM »
 opps it's a pedal steel,  the unit is on legs not a lap steel.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »
I thought they were built like two Melody Maker guitar coils. Carlo and Steve (ThunderBucker) should know more.

Steve's on his way to Florida, should be checking in soon.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson pedal steels and Thunderbird pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »
opps it's a pedal steel,  the unit is on legs not a lap steel.

Steel guitars do have legs sometimes but they have to have pedals & levers to be an actual pedal steel .......  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »
 hmmmmmmmmmm I didn't see pedals and levers but to be honest I was looking at the pickup!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »
hmmmmmmmmmm I didn't see pedals and levers but to be honest I was looking at the pickup!

Hahaha, makes me think of a girl in a movie I saw when she said to some guy staring at her boobs, "Uh, my eyes are up here!"
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
A non-pedal steel on legs used to be called a table steel. Herb Remington is still making them in Houston, although he just calls them non-pedal steels.

In the 50s Gibson made a table steel called the Consolette. Maybe that's what you saw. They also made pedal steels.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Hahaha, makes me think of a girl in a movie I saw when she said to some guy staring at her boobs, "Uh, my eyes are up here!"

There's a perfectly good response to that.  :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »
I hadn't heard of this before now, A.R. Duchossoir published a book on Gibson steels in 2009. Here's an excerpt, it mentions 8-pole humbuckers. Lowest price new on Amazon Marketplace is $29 shipped, I'll pass for now.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
I've also heard this for a long time - at least 20-25 years - first time may have been from Paul Chandler when I worked at Gary Brawer Stringed Instrument Repair in San Francisco (not certain on that but heard the same quite a few other times). Mike Lull and Jeff Ament spoke about this recently with Bass Player mag (I had mentioned that to Jeff years ago as well)

ML I was a Thunderbird fanatic back in the ’70s, and I’ve owned a bunch of them. But I found them to always be a little unwieldy—they played kinda funny and sounded tremendous. And what says “rock” more than a Thunderbird bass? I hated the ergonomics, but loved the sound. So I put my mind to making a bass that balanced well, and sounded like the originals. It was more of a task than I thought. We designed a new bridge and tailpiece. I took a set of original ’64 Thunderbird pickups apart and found out exactly why they sounded the way they did. I started making pickup covers out of a nickel-silver alloy, magnets out of alnico 4. A typical humbucker has two coils and a magnet down below. This one has two coils with the magnet standing vertically between them. The result is a thin, very high-output humbucker. The neck pickup measures 8k [resonant frequency], and the neck pickup is 9k. The steel base plate becomes part of the magnet structure. I had to have all these pieces made from scratch. In the process of researching this project, I found the company that made pickup covers for Gibson back in the ’60s.
    JA Those original pickups were for lap steel guitar, right?
    ML Gibson had discontinued an 8-string lap steel in 1962, and they had a ton of these pickup coils laying around. They took two of those coils, stuck them to a steel base plate, and put a nickel-silver alloy cover on it, and suddenly they had a new bass pickup. So I made them just like that. The T-Bass pickup sounds exactly like the original ‘60s Thunderbird pickup, but they’re more consistent.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
 Here  are the pictures! It is a pedal steel, man the thing is beautiful I wish I could buy it. Sure looks like a Thunderbird pickup to me.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
Way cool. (and pedals, too) Sure does look similar - deluxe version with adjustable polepieces rather than the bar magnets.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
 I am just thrilled to be able to confirm this for myself. When I started at the House of Guitars in '76 they literally had piles of lap/pedal steels (really I mean piles) and I don't remember any with a Thunderbird like pup, they all had P90 looking units. I may have to go back and buy this thing, why I don't know. But with the Thunderbird connection and besides it is just so beautiful.