Author Topic: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)  (Read 111024 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
I guess he prefers those sounds ...

It's in moments like these I realize that I'm getting old, I like none of them!  :mrgreen: 80% of those demonstrated sounds would have me turn my head in anguish and go: "OMG, my rig just broke down!"  :rimshot:

Back from when my rigs were too small, I still identify distorted bass sounds with insufficient headroom or something breaking down. And immense volume without a hint of distortion as "No one can touch me!" instant gratification ("Move away, you guitar mortals with your puny distorted signals!").  That's très uncool, I know. :-[
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:19:21 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
Well i guess somebody likes it-not me though .Personaly im stll looking for a JAE in a box!
Louder bass!.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
It's just something that a close friend of mine has been saying for years, that no one has ever seen Rick Derringer and Suzi Quatro in the same room at the same time.

I've actually wondered about that before!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
A very lanky Chaim Witz fingering (!) a Grabber ...

This was the first Kiss song I heard where I thought, "Oh, there is some melody in them after all!". To this day, I love Gene's chorus vocal where he drowns out Paul's lead. And of course: Can anybody think of a song where the naturally compelling rhyme of "nearer" ("neeeeruh") with "mirror" ("meeeeruh") has been paired more nicely than at 1:22?  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:21:02 PM by uwe »

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
Back from when my rigs were too small, I still identify distorted bass sounds with insufficient headroom or something breaking down. And immense volume without a hint of distortion as "No one can touch me!" instant gratification ("Move away, you guitar mortals with your puny distorted signals!").  That's très uncool, I know. :-[

I'm with you Uwe. Finally getting a good solid no-nonsense tone was a long time coming for me. I'm not one for pedals/effects myself, including compression. Every time I tried anything that piqued my curiosity (like chorus, phasing or envelope follower) I found I used it less and less until it finally went away. If having a solid undistorted tone throughout a gig makes for boring presentation, then I'm willing to be guilty.

Though I will say this. I had an outdoor gig and my regular amp was being serviced so I broke out a standby - my '69 Sunn 1000S guitar head. My friend had serviced it so it was working great, new tubes etc. I was playing a Status Mark King Signature Standard, and that preamp/pickups are hot.
I had the amp and bass dimed, and it was the closest I ever got to sounding like Felix Pappalardi's EB1. That was the creamiest overdrive I ever made and I admit it was a bit intoxicating.
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 05, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
Creamy overdrive - nice way to put it - is ok for me too, for about half an hour. After a while, I want to hear a clean signal again. Weirdly, my ears hear that as more assertive.

If I were a guitarist, I'd probably prefer a twangy, undistorted Telecaster sound.  :mrgreen: Those extremely processed "three-preamps-in-a-row-ultra-overdrive-and-compression-endless-sustain" guitar sounds some of our handicapped six-string friends crave for, leave me cold. There is so much going on then between you hitting the string and what's coming out of the speaker, you might as well play a synth. Way too indirect for me.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 05, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Jack Bruce = Creamy overdrive
Felix Pappalardi = Mountainy overdrive

My only bass pedal is a preamp pedal. With the EB-0, I use it to cut output so that the overdrive is pleasant and doesn't blow the speaker on my small upstairs amp.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »

My only bass pedal is a preamp pedal. With the EB-0, I use it to cut output so that the overdrive is pleasant and doesn't blow the speaker on my small upstairs amp.

C.F. Turner = Bachman Turner Overdrive

Ouch!!!

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 06, 2017, 08:51:30 AM »

Cool enough. When I heard it, it was Felix that came to mind. Back when, my good friend bought a Cougar XR-7 and we spent that winter hanging out in it every day, scraping together just enough money for gas and maybe a doob or two. He had an 8-track of Mountain's Greatest Hits. By winter's end there were barely any particles left on the tape - we played the crap out of it. As much as I love Cream, I'm sure that's where Felix got embedded in my psyche.

My point being, it didn't sound like a pissed off insect got into my signal chain. And there is nothing like getting the real deal out of a tube amp pushed to the brink!

Man, I wish I could do that all the time, but dragging around a tube rig is more than I can handle. As it stands it's a huge effort just to drag out my component rig (Ashdown RPM-1/QSC PLX 2402). I love it but I really have to be feeling my oats. ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 06, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
Don't start me with tube amps right now!!!  :-\   :mrgreen:

My SVT has just broken down again, it always reliably does. I read these amazing stories about people and their SVTs, roadworn and same set of tubes for 20 years. Not mine. I bought it (new) around 2004 or so. It was the Anniversary series, and it has all its tubes exchanged twice already since then. It's never gigged (I'd never trust it to work going from A to B with the experiences I've had!), not very often played, it just sits in a perfectly dry and heated rehearsal room and does nothing most of the time. It wasn't even played for the last two years or so (I had left that particular band, the amp was still mothballed in their rehearsal space), still all I get now is distortion at very low volume and the master volume obviously not working at all (full gain and full master = you can barely hear the signal and it is all distorted, brittle and keeps cutting out). I know the symptom, it is always followed by full replacement of all tubes. I find two - very soon: three - complete tube replacements in an amp over a period of 12 years (with the amp being played once a week at the most) unreasonably much.

No other piece of equipment has ever done this to me. Not Dynacord, not H&H, not Reußenzehn, not Peavey, not Ashdown,  not Markbass, not Orange. That SVT is jinxed.

Rant over!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:59:02 AM by uwe »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Get an old one...a Selmer or Magnavox one...

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
I feel your frustration Uwe. Something in there is eating your tubes, and until that's addressed this will be a ritual for you. Getting an old one that's fully restored to spec may be the ticket.

I must agree with patman.

At one point I owned a 76/77 Magnavox SVT (head only) because I had to experience what it was about. The head was completely restored by an expert in SVT's, fully re-tubed with NOS Magnavox pre-amp tubes, 2 matched pairs of GE 6550's and a matched pair of EH 6550's. I never did hear it through 810's, but in my Aguilar GS212 it sounded absolutely amazing. It also felt like it was bulletproof, though I know that's an arbitrary evaluation.

I got a small rolling road case for it which helped, but all told it weighed in at 110+ lbs.

With great sorrow I kissed it goodbye....sigh. :-[

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
Uwe, you need a different amp tech.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 06, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »
Ampeg's repair service in Germany repaired it everytime!  :mrgreen: But let's see what they will say this time.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:20 PM »
They should know that if it keeps eating tubes, it's not the tubes.

Ship it to amptech in Norway. He'll find out what's wrong.