Author Topic: facebook and the Ric Police  (Read 9723 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: facebook and the Ric Police
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 06:07:09 AM »
I think that's the FB page I joined just the other day but haven't been back to check it out.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
Welcome Mark!

Pics of Dr Quist's bridge mod were posted on this forum 4 years ago - just a taste of what he can contribute:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=600.0

Okay, I remember that thread. No reason on earth for that to be censored. Yes, it's definitely a modification that changes the character of the bridge, but so what? He's just showing what he does, and if it doesn't suit you, you don't do it.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
I think Mark is referring to his bridge/tailpiece mod where the notches between the "teeth" are deepened and the bridge chassis is turned around. It's still in the technical pages of the RR, where it has been for the last 11 years.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
I think I should start a thread  so it is easily found rather than stick it in this thread .
Any thoughts ?
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
Go ahead.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
That's a real shame hearing about the FB page, and this is precisely the reason I rarely participate on manufacturer forums (Ric seems especially over-the-top in terms of zealotry and censorship).   I enjoy the candid discussions about ALL brands at this place, and it would be great if those Ric FB folks brought the party here.  8)

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
That's a real shame hearing about the FB page, and this is precisely the reason I rarely participate on manufacturer forums (Ric seems especially over-the-top in terms of zealotry and censorship).   I enjoy the candid discussions about ALL brands at this place, and it would be great if those Ric FB folks brought the party here.  8)

The "Censorship" thing is a double edged sword. I began cruising posts back when FORUMS were a dream in Al Gore's eye. :) Posts have ALWAYS been an interesting way to learn and also a FABULOUS way to be conned, tricked, lied to and swindled. I've always lived by a single rule: "Never Ruin Someones Dream". By that I mean, if you're "in the business" and KNOW that the folks who run ANY company are actually creeps in "Real Life", it's best to keep it to yourself. IMHO, the LESS we know about manufacturers, the better off our music-making dreams will be. :)

Also high on the list of Awareness is knowing that if someone is really bashing the crap out of a product--ANY product--chances are pretty good that they work for a competitor in some capacity--they have an axe to grind--they're just brain dead....or they have no life and simply enjoy reading what they write. While at Fender, I CONSTANTLY saw posts from folks who bashed everything that Fender (and everyone else) made and, as always, the guy with the biggest mouth most often turns out to be the one to watch out for. Manufacturers KNOW that, so as the internet developed SOME of the companies began to get VERY protective about what was said by "Folks with No Name".

Lastly: We humanoids tend to believe what we read. I've read numerous posts about instruments that I, personally, gave birth to....but as the "song" moved around the room, things changed. I'd follow posts from "experts" who would talk to other "experts" and soon MANY of the "facts" about the instrument were down-right WRONG. But, people will buy almost anything if they read it often enough so after awhile I simply stopped trying to make corrections and left the Forums altogether. I, personally, ADORE Ric basses and I've owned quite a few. I also understand that Ric has been around for decades and there's a reason for that.....they run a VERY tight ship.....they build a great product....and they have no Shareholders to answer to. Sweet Dreams. :)

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich

PS: NOWHERE have I said that Rickenbacker has ANY creepy people in its employ or management.  :-X    
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
I invite you all to look at all my postings prior to 2004 on the RRF .

Peter has kindly  kept them all there for the world to see .
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I think that's the FB page I joined just the other day but haven't been back to check it out.

I take it back. This is not the page I joined. I joined The Rickenbacker Page, the FB page for a local business which developed out of The Music Loft on Hodges Street in Raleigh. Rickenbacker recommended this place to do any work on my 4001. Whew, no Ric police involved!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
I still think Rics CEO( see no names) is a sociopath....Love Ricks and have 6 of them.All of them pre73.Will never buy a new one!.I will never support Rick.They dont listen to the consumer and in my opinion,they dont care!They are riding on legacy alone!I realize that you are on the RRF forum Ilan.So dont take this personal.The RRF is responsible for deleting and censoring more threads than any forum in history!They too live in a fantasy world!Mr.Fortune,Dr.Quist,Mr.Staberow,Mr.Rath, just to name a few have all been alienated By Ric and The RRF.The administrators on the RRF need to get a clue!The aforementioned people are some of the most knowledgeable luthiers and players ive ever known.And have all been offended personally By Ric and the RRF. and will no longer post on either site!Ive been banned from the RRF for a bridge thread!I made the mistake of talking about all parts ric replacement bridge.Mr.Fortune and Dr.Quist have been targeted by said sociopath merely for thier knowledge of Ricks.He is jealouse because he is incapable of coming up with good ideas of his own!The Ric police are everywhere!!!!LOL!!Welcome Good Dr.Quist!Your thoughts and knowledge are welcome here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:24:00 AM by weekend warrior »
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »
Well, this is not the RRF.

I will add, though, that my personal experience was different, and when I needed help with a truss rod issue in a bass that I bought used and was not under any kind of warranty, John Hall stepped up, explained in detail what I should do and what to avoid doing, and even went as far as to research machinists in Israel that can manufacture the part I needed. I thought this was pretty cool.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
Yep, what the RRF does is Peter's business. Why he has banned people and whether or not John had anything directly to do with it is none of our concern. We don't need to bring that here.

Uwe had a similar experience to Ilan, John helped him with his 8-string neck and truss rod problems when he didn't have to. Unfortunately the neck still has issues.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:15 AM »
Weekend Warrior - I understand your thoughts COMPLETELY! Trust me. There have been a number of times I've chosen to take a break from the RRF for various reasons. But, MOST of the people there are cool. And I have to disagree that they're riding on legacy alone. In my opinion, they are now making some of the best instruments they ever have. Having said that, the newest of my 3 is a '93.  8) Customer service seems to be hit or miss, as I've heard glowing reviews as much as angry rants. Whatever. My '89 4003S is still my #1.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
I think the fact that if you post on a forum regarding RIC, you may get a response from John, THAT!!, whatever the reply is worth a great deal indeed.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
imo no one has the right to dictate to you after the sale has been made. not even almighty john. i have never heard of such crap. >:(

uh oh,gotta' go. i hear hobnail boots on my walkway...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead