Author Topic: looking foor a 300w-500w combo  (Read 15658 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: looking foor a 300w-500w combo
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 05:11:35 AM »
Anemic is not what I am looking for :( GK has a 200x 1x15 combo wonder how that sounds ?  School me on class D power amps? What can I expect? Do they have comparable out put to non class D stuff?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »
Did you ever test drive the Genz-Benz Shuttle series? As far as I'm concerned the Shuttle 6.0 has all the guts it could need.  It's rated 375W "Peak" into 8 ohms...I'm not sure what its RMS rating would be, but I know it gets very dang loud.  I can't share any technical details with you because my expertise doesn't extend to the internal details of amp construction.

In the docking combo version on the T12 speaker, it's a whole lot of combo in a 36-pound package. I used to be a 15" player, but this 12" cab reformed me.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »
 I have never tried a Shuttle none around here that I can find. I like 12s.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
When I went to meet the guy at a church gymnasium to pick up that Curlee bass for Robert a while back I tried it through the owners's Shuttle 9.0. That thing was phenomenal and totally filled that place.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Seems to me like if you find one of the super light D class amps, you can make it a combo with any cab you like.  The weight is minimal so it really doesn't matter much that it's a separate head.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
Anemic is not what I am looking for :( GK has a 200x 1x15 combo wonder how that sounds ?  School me on class D power amps? What can I expect? Do they have comparable out put to non class D stuff?

The Class D power amp thing can be quite a quest. I looked around for long time and I was pretty disappointed with most of what I saw. The first one that impressed me was the Markbass and I did a side by side comparison with a 500 watt GK 2x10. I think that made the Markbass sound even bettter :o .  I wasn't head over heels in love with the Markbass but I liked it and I was about ready to pull the trigger . Then Pilgrim twisted my arm until I  tried a Genz Benz and I'm glad he did ;D.   Unlike most equipment I've had, the more I get to know this thing , the more I like it ;D.
With the Shuttle I don't feel like I settled or sacrificed just to get a lightweight amp. By nature it is very clean but you can warm it up considerably with it's single 12AX7. If you want real dirt you're gonna have to get a pedal. I love it as is, with the clean and warm thing ;D.  It sounds great at high or low volume, it has more definition than any amp I've ever heard and the boost features provide the perfect amount of boost. Most boost features kick in way too strong and start blowing glasses off all the tables in the room. These are more subtle and give you just enough juice to accent a line or stand out for a solo or whatever.
You gotta check out some Genz Benz stuff 8)
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:30 PM »
You gotta check out some Genz Benz stuff 8)

^^^^Yarrr, matey!  8)

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 05:00:42 AM »
I got to try one of the new Genz 6.2/12 combos the other day.  It took a while to dial in a sound I really liked but when I found it I didn't want to leave.  It was that good.  My only complaint was I never found the right balance with the gain to get some nice usable grit.  But I imagine that's just a matter of time since I've heard others achieve it.  My next biggest complaint was the $1.2K price tag.  Ouch!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 05:54:55 AM »
I got to try one of the new Genz 6.2/12 combos the other day.  It took a while to dial in a sound I really liked but when I found it I didn't want to leave.  It was that good.  My only complaint was I never found the right balance with the gain to get some nice usable grit.  But I imagine that's just a matter of time since I've heard others achieve it.  My next biggest complaint was the $1.2K price tag.  Ouch!

If it's any help, a Fender Bassman with a 2-12 cabinet cost $400 in 1966, that's around $2700 today.

IIRC my Sivertone with the same configuration was $120 in 1962...around $860 today.  I'd guess the Genz sounds at least 1.5 times better than the Silvertone.  Not so sure about the MarkBass, my one encounter was not good.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:04:16 AM by dadagoboi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
 Thanks for you advice guys. I really don't want to spend much more than 500-700, less if I can. I want something that can put out like my Ampeg B25B and 2x15 but in combo form. As for a micro head I thought about that I have like 14 cabs but they are all 8 or 16 ohm.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
As for a micro head I thought about that I have like 14 cabs but they are all 8 or 16 ohm.

8 ohm cabs go fine with the legitimately higher powered micro heads - I run my Markbass TTE-500 regularly through an 8 ohm sealed 410 cab and the 500 watt @ 4 ohm head is barely ticking over - I've yet to have the master past 10 o'clock.  Same deal with my 900w @ 4 ohm Genz Benz Streamliner - 8 ohm cabs are not a problem - there is more than enough volume for gigging in a loud rock band.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
 Update. I am leaning towards the Peavy TNT Tour 115. Lots of power, Birch ply cab, 1x15, crucnh feature (distortion) Not a whole lot of knobs (a plus for me). The only thing I don't like is the kick back design.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
Update. I am leaning towards the Peavy TNT Tour 115. Lots of power, Birch ply cab, 1x15, crucnh feature (distortion) Not a whole lot of knobs (a plus for me). The only thing I don't like is the kick back design.

Saw that in the current MF catalog, looks like a good deal with the 15% discount.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
I don't have any direct experience since I don't do repairs anymore, but from what I hear from my friends who do is that with new production Peavey, the build quality is nowhere near what it was even five years ago and the amps are near unserviceable.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »
That's really a shame. Reliability used to be the one thing you could really count on with Peaveys. The combos I remember from the 80s (I had a TNT-130 circa 1984) sounded pretty blah but they were built like tanks.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy