Author Topic: looking foor a 300w-500w combo  (Read 15657 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
looking foor a 300w-500w combo
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
 I am looking for a small gig worthy combo amp 300w-500w. I would like 4x10s or 1x15 but will consider other configurations. Most important is the ability to get some grind out of it, something with two channels to blend clean and dirty together. I also would like plywood for cabinet construction. Any thoughts ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
Re: looking foor a 300w-500w combo
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
Scott, have you looked at Peavey's Tour TNT 115? It's not a two channel combo but it does have some pretty cool features including an ext speaker output to take the output power from 300 watts as a stanalone to 450 watts with the addition of a extra cab when necessary. It also has the tilt back style cabinet which is great for monitoring and of course a DI out.

It looks to be well built and the price seems pretty reasonable. You can download the owners manual off the Peavey website to see its specs and features if you're interested.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
 Thanks TD , actually I was looking at the VB 115, I can always get my overdrive from my Ibanez bass tube screamer. http://www.peavey.com/products/instAmplifiers/bassamps/proseries/index.cfm/item/117529/VB%26trade%3B%26nbsp%3B115.html
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
It's got a Black Widow...Black Widows always sound good to me...had the one from my 30 plus year old Combo 300 re-coned, and it's made a world of difference...it had a 4 ohm celestion in it that sounded like crap.  With the Black Widow re-coned it 's like night and day!...

In the old days, I even had a Black Widow in my Ampeg B15...I used to think it gave it more clarity. YMMV.

I always liked the concept of "wheel one box in and plug into it" simplicity of a combo. Guess I've been a weekend warrior too long.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »
 I was looking at the Mesa stuff pretty pricey, maybe if I can find a deal on one.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
I was on a major quest for the same kind of combo requirements for a year or so. I had high hopes for the 500watt 2x12 GK combo but was really dissappointed by how anemic they were. In fact I was pretty disappointed with a whole lot of stuff I looked at .  There were a lot of OK things out there but nothing to get excited about. The 2x10 Markbass was pretty nice at 500watts but it was a not a combo , which was alright with me, but I still felt I was comprimising somewhat.
Pilgrim got me all excited about the Genz Benz 6.0 Shuttle , and he was right. It took me a while to try one out but it was worth the wait. Not a combo but 600watts, lightweight and paired with a 2x12 and tweeter Avatar cab , I'm happy as a clam ;D. It was not what I was actually looking for but it turned out to be exactly what I wanted. I can't say enough good about the Genz Benz.
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »
Check out the Ampeg Portaflex stuff...
http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-500/
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks TD , actually I was looking at the VB 115, I can always get my overdrive from my Ibanez bass tube screamer. http://www.peavey.com/products/instAmplifiers/bassamps/proseries/index.cfm/item/117529/VB%26trade%3B%26nbsp%3B115.html

I did notice that the Peavey Tour TNT 115 has a "Crunch" effect that can be dialed in and turned on/off on the control panel and via a remote footswitch.

Just thought i'd throw it out there.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
 At first I was thinking I need something I can overdrive but the Ibanez Tube screamer works great for that and it has a blend.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
At first I was thinking I need something I can overdrive but the Ibanez Tube screamer works great for that and it has a blend.

I hadn't mentioned Genz-Benz earlier because of their reputation for clean sound, without grind...but given that you can get some with a pedal (and I do the same, with a Digitech Bad Monkey mod'd by Scott Humphreys), and with Rahock's comment above, that puts Genz back in the picture.

In that case, try the Genz Shuttle series - for your purposes, probably a Shuttle 9.0.  The docking unit for the Shuttles works nicely, but I think it only goes on cabs as big as a single 12.  You might need to get a lightweight Genz 2x12 cab to make it sound as you wish.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:59:58 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »
The Ampeg PF500 has quite a tubey sound for being solid state, and you can get a pretty good grind out of the gain. It also has a blend knob for the effects loop if you need it. The PF115 cab has surprising amount of low end for a sealed cab, and you can of course store the head inside since it's a fliptop. I've also used the head to drive my 2x15 Gene Simmons cab loaded with JBL's,  and thought it sounded great.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
The new Genz Benz 6.2/12t Shuttle combo has been getting good reviews.  They've juiced up the gain in the .2 model so it's easier to get a nice sounding overdrive out it.  Ed Friedland has a nice review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw&list=UUranFvDA8I4qHg8GweBmDEA&index=5&feature=plcp

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
 hahaha I thought this was a combo it's just a cab  :o What a dumbass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
The new Genz Benz 6.2/12t Shuttle combo has been getting good reviews.  They've juiced up the gain in the .2 model so it's easier to get a nice sounding overdrive out it.  Ed Friedland has a nice review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw&list=UUranFvDA8I4qHg8GweBmDEA&index=5&feature=plcp

There's a lot to like in that review!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."