Author Topic: Flying V Vs Explorer poll  (Read 15906 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Flying V Vs Explorer poll
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
  Rarely do I ask others opinions, I know what I like and don't usually have trouble making a decision. With all the new models Gibson has come out with I just can't buy them all. I have the Cherry Tbird which I am very pleased with and I think I can swing one more bass so what should it be ? The Flying V or the Explorer? I have my Ibanez Destroyer and a Hammer Blitz so that sort of scratches the Explorer itch. I have never had a Flying V (mainly because a good one was never made). I am leaning toward the V but that Explorer looks like a beastly hunk of wood. Both good choices,. Ok guys what say you ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Flying V Vs Explorer poll
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »
That Ibanez is the epitome of Explorers to me. It's not the 80's metal version but the classic looking 50's version, which I've always preferred. Your Blitz covers the 80's metal Explorer look, so if it were me I'd go for the V. The one concern is whether the short scale will be an issue for you. If not, I say get the V. I really like the look of these new ones because they capture the vibe of the 60's guitar and that's the one I like best of the Vs. Plus it sounds like Gibson have finally made a V bass that sounds good!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »

Too lazy to look, what's the scale length on the new V?

It's really been a crazy year for Gibson and basses - dare I say it - too many choices!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
George your correct on all counts! I love the look of the '67 V, Cherry/chrome with a white guard looks killer. I can switch from long to short scale no problem. The V does sound good! I never played it with the band but on it's own it really is a good sounding bass, nothing like the 80's V with those wimpy Ripper pups. Ok George your swaying me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
That Ibanez is the epitome of Explorers to me. It's not the 80's metal version but the classic looking 50's version, which I've always preferred. Your Blitz covers the 80's metal Explorer look, so if it were me I'd go for the V.

Exactly what I was thinking, you need the V, Dude.

T

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
 Mark its a short scale.

Too lazy to look, what's the scale length on the new V?

It's really been a crazy year for Gibson and basses - dare I say it - too many choices!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
I'm thinking the new V is is a winner.  ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »

I gotta have a long scale bass...........I'd get that V home and be selling it a week later.

So far my GAS takes me to the black Les Paul oversize......
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Without a doubt the V. Your Destroyer destroys the Explorer in looks dept. I would hold on to the V as well as I see these going way up in value if they stick to a limited run.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

With your choice of pickups, too! Oh wait... :P

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
George said it all for me. I would go for the V as well. I love the look of it.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »

I gotta have a long scale bass...........I'd get that V home and be selling it a week later.

So far my GAS takes me to the black Les Paul oversize......

+1.  Those LP's in black are HOT!
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
It would be the Explorer for me, but it's close. And of course I haven't even heard how the new one sounds. I find the Explorer shape more imposing than the Flying V.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
The scale length would be the deciding factor for me. I bought a Fireburst SG Bass (GOTM) based on looks alone and when it arrived - it was quite beautiful in person. Unfortunately the short scale and small body made it feel like a toy compared to my T-birds, and I knew I wouldn't be able to use it for gigging. Sounded great, and would look awesome hanging on a wall - but I needed somethign that could pay for itself.  I've been contemplating the new Gibbies as well - and even though I like the look of the V, I think I would go with the Explorer or a Gold Top Les Paul.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
It would be the Explorer for me, but it's close. And of course I haven't even heard how the new one sounds. I find the Explorer shape more imposing than the Flying V.

Problem with explorers are they have the metal curse laid upon them, where V's reek of the cool factor