Author Topic: "Bass players don't need tubes."  (Read 23421 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: "Bass players don't need tubes."
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
but remember the JSII is a short scale Mahogony bass while i have 'em in a 34" alder Ripper.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
but remember the JSII is a short scale Mahogony bass while i have 'em in a 34" alder Ripper.

Mine is leaving on the UPS truck today.  :-[

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »
Been a while now since I've heard them, but I remember the pickups in my JSII having very prominent mids and being rather punchy - possibly on par with the sound of an unfiltered mudbucker.  They didn't strike me as docile, but it's all relative and maybe even varies between specimens(?)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
Been a while now since I've heard them, but I remember the pickups in my JSII having very prominent mids and being rather punchy - possibly on par with the sound of an unfiltered mudbucker.  They didn't strike me as docile, but it's all relative and maybe even varies between specimens(?)

Are those originals? If so, they aren't the ones I'm talking about.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
Are those originals? If so, they aren't the ones I'm talking about.

Pretty sure they were; somebody had just removed the cans from them...

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
I've never played a solid state amp that I've actually liked, and I've played out through a lot of rig combinations in the short amount of time I've been trying out gear. Sure, I can get 'my' sound out of it, but it's much harder to dial in for me, and I always feel like I sound glassy and way too up front... kind of like ear buds vs open ear headphones. To me, it's like trying to get a Strat to sound fat when what you want is Les Paul tone. Of course you can do it, it's just gonna be different.

In all fairness, though, I've heard some other bassists get great tone out of solid state amps who swear that they can't get a tube amp to deliver their sound. And I believe them. There is no one stop, end all gear setup that makes every player sound good. Tone is a sum of all the parts, and at the end of the day it's all subjective anyway.

As for me, I'll stick to my V-4B.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
All I can say is that no matter what kind of amp I play through, when I get it set up, I sound just like me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."