Author Topic: When did eBay die?  (Read 1906 times)

ilan

• View Profile
When did eBay die?
« on: September 26, 2021, 01:50:55 AM »
Do a search for vintage basses, you get the same collection of overpriced parts and butchered carcasses that have been there for months and sometimes years. You all remember the times when there were some real vintage beauties there. What happened?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: When did eBay die?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 01:51:51 AM »
I think Reverb took over more or less

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
Nobody has been buying much for the last 18 months.  Basses and accessories have only sold cheap.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »
Nobody has been buying much for the last 18 months.  Basses and accessories have only sold cheap.

Is the same trend happening in real estate?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Is the same trend happening in real estate?

Nope, that's where all the money is going. My youngest daughter is trying to buy an 900-1100 square foot home in an old but decent neighborhood in Denver, but prices start just under $400,000 and go up to more than a half-million. People are bidding 30 and 40K over asking price.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
A similar size apartment in a decent neighborhood in Tel Aviv is about $1,250,000.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 07:44:06 AM »
Real estate has been on fire during the pandemic. I actually got licensed last December, but after a couple of months of dabbling, decided to keep it as a "Plan B" should things go south at my current job. People are getting more than what their houses are listed at regularly. I had one woman getting mad at me for not showing her enough houses. There aren't any to show!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
Real estate is crazy around here too. Just about every house gets multiple offers above the listing price.

I stopped looking at eBay since I'm not in the market to buy, but last time I did look it was clogged with multiple sellers from Japan listing the same instrument. Meanwhile, the local Craigslist is a wasteland.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 05:56:28 AM »
Hard to believe how much property has shot up in the last eighteen months . My mortgage is long finished , and I have no intention to cash in , I like the neighbours . And our little house with the big yard .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 08:45:57 AM »
Hard to believe how much property has shot up in the last eighteen months . My mortgage is long finished , and I have no intention to cash in , I like the neighbours . And our little house with the big yard .

Same for us.  Our house is worth around 3x what it cost us in 1998, but to get the cash, you have to sell - and then buy something else at the same inflated prices.  We're in a unique neighborhood with large green areas surrounding a privately-owned lake, so we're not moving.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 11:54:10 PM »
Same here in the north, ebay is dead and houses are crazy expensive! Gibson bass prices are stable, though :)