Author Topic: Is IEM the way to go?  (Read 4307 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Is IEM the way to go?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
'used for public safety AND new 4g wireless stuff'. i bet i know which of those two is the real benefactor.

" when corporate america throws its mighty shield..."

You don't know the half of it! The FCC won't even listen to the NAB any more. She only sleeps with cell boys and their big money.

I love the Cap quote.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »
The first time I saw a plexi shield for a drummer was in the late 80's. My band got a new drummer who was a jazz fan and he showed up to our first gig with it. He said it was all the rage but I thought it looked ridiculous. Until we played. Best we ever sounded both on stage and in the recording we made that night. I could actually hear everything and was amazed at how much easier it was to play that way. As long as everyone doesn't sneak over to their amp to turn up a shield may be a great, affordable option.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
The drum shield idea is interesting (I've been looking at ClearSonic products), but I'm not sure it addresses my main concern; The drummer is already having trouble hearing vocals and guitars.  A drum screen is going to make it even more difficult as he is going to be engulfed in his own sound and it would block direct amplification from the room. I would think that the drum shield helps everyone else in the room, but is of no benefit to the drummer.  I would think that an IEM or dedicated monitor (for the drummer) would be essential if you deploy a drum screen.

I get the concept, and it certainly has merit in some applications, but I may be missing the point of these shields for my purposes.
Not trying to be stubborn, just trying to understand as much as possible.
Thanks for all the replies.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
I suggest again: a moderate size speaker sitting next to the drummer can assure that he hears any signal needed.  We have done this a lot - our drummer keyed off the lead guitarist, and I had no trouble locking up with the drummer.  We just ran an extension off the lead guitarist's amp.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
Why not deaden the room some?  IEMs might very well be needed but for far less than a couple of sets of IEMs you could sonically control the room.  Drop a layer of Homesote sheets on the floor followed by some cheap plywood, layer of dense padding and some durable carpet.  You could deaden some of the opposing walls/ceiling with insulation and few movable/insulated partitions would help as well.  Your neighbors will thank you and you will be able to hear the TV downstairs to boot ;)   This would help the noise level overall and kill some of the ricochet problem.  I'm with everyone else on volume control - it's something that everyone needs to learn but hard to grasp as kids. 

Next, we can discuss hearing loss, 30 years later, of former kids that just wanted to rock loud ;D   

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Next, we can discuss hearing loss, 30 years later, of former kids that just wanted to rock loud ;D   

EEEeeehhh?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 12:17:16 PM »

EEEeeehhh?

HUH!!  WHAT!??  Quit mumbling already!!

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
Make the drummer play with brushes and make everyone else turn down.  :rimshot:

No, but in all seriousness, I know how this goes. I was in a band when I was around 15 that had the same problem. Drummer too loud, no one could hear each other, everyone kept turning up their amps that were way too big for a garage, too much sound for such a small space. You know what happened? I'm 26. I have tinnitus. Mild in one ear, severe in the other (the one that was close to the drummer all day.) And let me tell you, a constant high frequency ringing in your ears that NEVER goes away is very frustrating.

I'm not sure what you should do. But do it quick, for the kids' sakes. IEM's seem like using a fire hose to put out a candle, but that's just my opinion. I would suggest seriously getting the drummer to play softer, and padding the hell out of that room to minimize sound reflection. Also, get them to wear the earplugs. Those hi-fidelity ETYs aren't so bad. You kinda have to push them in far enough in order to reach a spot where the sound cuts through again without being nothing but bass, so make sure they do that.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
Before the holidays, I laid down the law to the kids and their bandmates who use the Jam Room.
For live band playing: ETY's at a minimum (I think I've purchased 8 pairs by now)
For the Drummer, we'd like for him to use headsets, but -20 dB ETY's at a minimum - headsets when practicing.
For the parents, we now use the Vic Firth over-ear headsets - they work well (especially at the dinner table).
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.