Author Topic: 8 x 10 cab  (Read 10904 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
8 x 10 cab
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »

I have a mate called Jason who lives near me who is a cabinet maker and after a recent gig where I used my amp on another mates Ampeg fridge Jason and I (over a few beers) decided that it would be good fun to make one of these cabs. Another close friend is the manager of one of the larger hire shops here so access to cabs for measurements and design details is not a problem. The most obvious speakers to use would be the Eminence Legend B810.

Out of interest does anyone have any other suggestions for speakers?
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: 8 x 10 cab
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
Have you considered Eminence Deltalites? They're neodymium. It will reduce the weight considerably and increase the efficiency.

When the speakers of one of my Eden cabs were blown, I tried a similar Eden cab that was equipped with Deltalites. It was an improvement compared to the other Eden cab that I have. Unfortunately I couldn't use them in my cab because of an impedance mismatch with my other cab and amp.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
I guess it will depend on weather or not they come in 32 Ohms. Thanks for the idea.
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »
Why 32?
With 8 speakers you have lots if possibilities to get your desired impedance for the entire cab.
The Deltalite II 2510 are 8 ohms individually.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
The original cabs have 32 ohm speakers in pairs in 4 sealed compartments in a series parallel arrangement.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »
You could still keep the four sealed compartments but just wire them differently.
As four sets of two in series, (each will be 2x 8Ohm = 16Ohm), then put all four of those pairs in parallel, to make 16Ohm / 4 = 4 Ohm.

4 ohms total

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:38 AM »
The question really is "which fridge?"? The original squareback with alnico CTS 10s, or the later angled back "bathtub with towel bar" and Eminence square mag ceramics? For me it will always be the former, probably with Ted Weber's bass 10s in the absence of original 'nicos.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
I just remember the hernia - tried one out with my DR103 for a while - just didn't gel with me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
I just remember the hernia - tried one out with my DR103 for a while - just didn't gel with me...

Thou shalt not mix Hiwatt and Ampeg for bass. I think that was on one of the tablets Moses carried down with him
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:37:49 AM »
Billy, I can only humbly admit my sins and digresions, but sometimes lessons have to be heard the hard way... ;)
Ended up with two open-backed Sound City 4 x 12 columns, used for the bigger gigs and now long dead, and the Marshall slope (still mine) was used for the smaller ones...

The ampeg just looked beautiful... 8)

... but the Hiwatt just did not match it and just looked wierd being so much wider... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »
Loved my blue grille SVT cabs with Coliseums.  Here they are live in '77 at the Whisky A Go Go.  ThunderBucker on guitar.  Cabs are gone but I still have the hernias.

http://soundcloud.com/dadagoboi/billy-blows-away-wav

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:04:05 AM by dadagoboi »

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
The question really is "which fridge?"? The original squareback with alnico CTS 10s, or the later angled back "bathtub with towel bar" and Eminence square mag ceramics? For me it will always be the former, probably with Ted Weber's bass 10s in the absence of original 'nicos.

I have a couple of squareback cabs with original speakers but I've had the towel bar cabs too, I like both. I've seen different types of speakers in SVT cabs. The real old ones had brown baskets. I had a 6550 69-70 cab and head years ago but that is all I can recall. It was blue etched not printed, they did this because they were going to light the Ampeg name up like a few other Ampeg amps from a little earlier on, I guess they found this was dangerous as it ran on 115V, I'm not talking the plexiglass plate, some Ampeg amps light the name up in blue.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
Ken, I run an Ampeg SVP-Pro (with 5 Telefunkens) into Peavey DPC 1000 digital power amp so the match up is great. Recently we did a show with 4 bands on the bill and we used my amp with my mate Mick's 8 x 10. He normally runs a locally made tube head through it and said after the gig that that was the best sound he's had from that cab. Gotta admit it was a juicy sound.
Digresion our specialty!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
He normally runs a locally made tube head through it

Woogie?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:31:52 AM »
Mark you are such a local.  :D     Yep another one of Franks amazing creations.
Digresion our specialty!