Author Topic: A great Sam Ash experience  (Read 1801 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
A great Sam Ash experience
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
A few years back (May 2008), I bought a Samson Live 612M (300W powered monitor) from Sam Ash in Raleigh, NC. We use it in our jam room to pump vocals and effects through.

A few weeks back, the XLR Input jack started to get wonky, so I called Sam Ash to see what my options are at this point. The warranty period had expired and after viewing the receipt, I verified that I didn't get an extended warranty on it. The Mgr. told me to bring it in anyway and he'd have a tech look at it and see what they can do for me.

My son took it up to SA a few days later, but the staff member on duty told him that there's nothing they can do with it, as it was out of warranty. They were very polite about it and my son brought it home.

No big deal, I'll contact Samson and see what my options are. The Samson tech was great, and he shipped me a replacement input jack for $0...turns out, he sent me an Output jack instead.

On a whim, I threw the monitor in my truck and brought it up to Sam Ash. Lo and behold, the mgr. I was speaking to a couple weeks back is there and remembers our conversation. He's very apologetic that his staff turned away my son. They take it to live Audio, and test it and confirm that the Input jack is bad. They bring out a brand new one (still in box and strapped) and swap with me. The manager (T.R.) said he'd deal with the paperwork.

This is a 3.5 year old powered monitor with no service warranty, and Sam Ash came through for us. They didn't have to do it, and I certainly was not expecting them to do that - I had gone there to hopefully swap the incorrect Output jack for an Input jack, if they had one. I'd take it home and solder it onto the board myself.

I know most folks have issues with SA and GC, and in most cases these megastores can be tough to deal with. They made me pretty happy today, and I thought it would be wrong to not share a positive experience.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A great Sam Ash experience
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
Good for them. It's all about the people at the local level, and your local manager came through when he didn't have to.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »
It's nice to hear a positive story about a chain store. More often that not we hear about the horrible customer service from these places. It is nice to know that some people still believe in customer service.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
I remember when the Sam Ash chain was exactly 2 stores  - manhattan and brooklyn.  Family owned and decent guys - out to make a living but still ok to deal with.  Actually bought probably 4-5 basses from Paul Ash one of the sons.  Very different now a days but every once in a while you will get a good local mgr....  good for you...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
I remember when the Sam Ash chain was exactly 2 stores  - manhattan and brooklyn.  Family owned and decent guys - out to make a living but still ok to deal with.  Actually bought probably 4-5 basses from Paul Ash one of the sons.  Very different now a days but every once in a while you will get a good local mgr....  good for you...

I grew up in Edison, NJ where they opened a store back in the 70's. Cool showcase.  Lots of great gear to go in and look at, but the staff were a typical bunch on local NJ quasi-musicians & yahoos (nice word for a-holes) and that was a big turn-off.  I avoided Sam Ash for decades until I moved to Raleigh, where they have a really nice store with a good atmosphere.  Funny, but when we go back to visit NJ, I take the kids to Sam Ash, and I can't wait to leave the store. 

The Sam Ash in Clearwater, FL (the old Kapok Tree atrium/restaurant) building is an amazing structure with a (seems like) 100 ft. arched ceilings.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
i had dinner at the kapok tree about 30 years ago. are you saying it is a sam ash store now? if so what a pity. btw, the bunch at the atlanta store are a nice but ever changing group.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
i had dinner at the kapok tree about 30 years ago. are you saying it is a sam ash store now? if so what a pity. btw, the bunch at the atlanta store are a nice but ever changing group.

Yeah, it's a shame.  I ate there once when I was a kid (must've been the late 60's/early 70's). The fountains and architecture (and the giant tree) were amazing.  I'll give Sam Ash some credit - although I certainly don't know the conditions of their lease - they've done their best not to dork with the exterior ambiance.  The garden area next to the old atrium is now a Music & Dance school.  They maintain the fountains and grounds, so anyone can still walk around in the garden area.

I visited my mom in Dunedin last month and we decided to take a nostalgic trip up to Tarpon Springs - hadn't been there since the Ponce De Leon days...Pappas' restaurant is no more!  Man, talk about your iconic restaurants...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:38:26 AM »
Good for them. It's all about the people at the local level, and your local manager came through when he didn't have to.

Agree. I have met very nice people in shitty stores, and the opposite ofcourse.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
I have met very nice people in shitty stores, and the opposite of course.

I have found the latter to be true far more than the former.