Author Topic: Is it cool to have your name on the headstock?  (Read 3109 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Is it cool to have your name on the headstock?
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »
I've seen some catalog scans for "Phil" brand basses and thought it might be cool to have my name on the headstock, but they were more modern designs, not sure I want to be associated with a copy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phil-electric-bass-guitar-Fender-type-nice-quality_W0QQitemZ130190250290QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it cool to have your name on the headstock?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
Well, I've thought about what to put on some of my home builds.  A bare headstock just needs something - what, I don't know.  I'm not sure about your name though - kind of reminds me of the pickups you see down here sometime - you know, "Bubba" on the driver's side of the back glass and "Thelma Lou" on the passenger side :D

But, let us not forget the rainbow "SRV" stickers that a Texas guy stuck on a few of his guitars ::)  Keep in mind he could play fairly well :) 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »
John is just not appealing on a headstock. :'(

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »
Well, there's always "BarklessDog Industries"

As a homage to my first cartoon love I've thought about the "ACME" moniker ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
Phil, are you talking about buying that one, or putting your name on a home build?

If I were you I probably wouldn't put my name on a home build since the Phil brand already exists (or existed),  just to avoid confusion. But it might be fun to buy that one and tell everybody it came directly from your own Korean factory.

felig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
I'm happy with my Elrick that has my last name initial on the headstock.  I used to feel the same way about my F bass that displayed my first name initial.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
Phil, are you talking about buying that one, or putting your name on a home build?

If I were you I probably wouldn't put my name on a home build since the Phil brand already exists (or existed),  just to avoid confusion. But it might be fun to buy that one and tell everybody it came directly from your own Korean factory.

I was talking about buying the one on eBay. I don't know anything at all about the Phil brand though, I'd just seen a catalog scan. I bought a Vester before christmas, which was cheap and is actually not a bad bass, but with zero resale value I suspect. Not sure I need another one of those.

The ones in the Phil catalog I saw were more like the Vester than the copy on eBay.