Author Topic: More on the Gibson raid  (Read 23320 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: More on the Gibson raid
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
The assumption that a fly shit on the wall company like Gibson (in terms of turnover and size of workforce) would mean anything one way or another to even the most vigilant Democratic administration is preposterous though.  And certainly a brand name such as Gibson with a "friendly product" such as electric guitars would have been a bad choice to seek out for punishment.

Besides, the Obamas like Gibson. See:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/Michelle-Obama-French-406/

American First Lady Michelle Obama presented France’s First Lady, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, with a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar “as a sign of friendship” over the weekend. (4-6-2009)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
as usual there are 3 sides to every story. The Govt, Henry J's and the Truth. Not really surprised I guess.

"But professional wrestling is real."   John what exactly are you saying here , I'm confused. It is real right? *major Irony*  ;) ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
Henry is a survivor and the brand is still strong, enough aging baby boomers out there buying the stuff with their pensions and "youngsters" - my son for one - have a positive image of the Gibson heritage too. My bet is on Henry - nothing a little fine-paying cannot do - surviving unless in a purge-like move and with strong financiers behind them some of Gibson's younger management buys him out. Remember how he and his business partners paid only five million bucks for floundering Gibson in the mid eighties - I'd think he'd do fine with his investment if he pulled out today.

If indictments are issued -- and I think that's likely -- the US Attorney will almost surely be going for prison sentences, not just fine-paying. Someone posted an article early this year indicating that the 2009 case was ongoing and that eventual indictments were likely for that, now we have this latest.

If several top executives are indicted, I predict you will see guilty pleas and prison time. For a corporation that already has financial problems, it could mean the end of the road for the present ownership.

I should make it clear that I don't agree with criminalizing this, and I don't agree that a raid was needed. Unfortunately, though, that's just the state of federal criminal law here now.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
I wasn't aware that breaking wood import laws is - like chewing gum during the national anthem, showering naked without bathroom security locks activated when minors are around and NOT having raped the chamber maid - yet another crime that sees you on death row in the Land of the Free!!! Henry J. doing the prep walk - what instant gratification here for some people that the hardware he will be wearing then might be chrome!!!

Stepping down from the board if it proves that he was actively involved in this or adamantly looking the other way? Yes. Pummeling fines? Yes. What has happened here is really not that different to breaking the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (I'm sure that along the way Gibson will argue that it only did business "in Rome" and therefore "did like the Romans")? Yes. But beyond that? Well, it's your country, do what you want then. You could always ask Ted McCarthy to descend from above (I assume that his retirement is now of more permanent and less worldly nature) and take over the reins again ... Having invented the Flying V, the Futura/Explorer, the Moderne and hired Raymond Dietrich for the design of the Fire- and Thunderbirds aren't the guitar world's worst track record, you know ...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:05:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 03:44:38 AM »
"But professional wrestling is real."   John what exactly are you saying here , I'm confused. It is real right? *major Irony*

Fox news & Professional Wrestling have a great deal in common.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 05:18:49 AM »
Yeah, but Glenn Beck always fluffed his rethorical anti-lib half nelsons! Or at least the atheist-communist-muslim world conspiracy and public opinion cartel sabotaged them.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »
We are not going to turn this into a discussion of Fox News.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
To me, the stories posted recently really do position the news coverage as a side issue.  It seems likely from the legal documents shared here that Gibson was almost certainly breaking the law.  Further, it appears they used a third-party dummy operation to do so.  I would guess that it won't be long until import records are explored and the history of that third party's purchases become public knowledge.  I'm guessing that they have recently imported more than one shipment of this type.

I wonder how Henry looks in horizontal stripes?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
As has been pointed out, Henry's political affiliations have been more opportunistic than philosophical. That's the nature of business for all but the most partisan. The easy shot is to make this about politics (especially because Henry has tried to make it so) but it's not. It looks increasingly like Gibson not only broke the law but went out of their way to do so. Regardless of how it's being prosecuted, Gibson opened the door by giving the Feds a reason to go after them. That has nothing to do with news networks at either end of the spectrum.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »
Sure'd like to see some media follow up on this story.

Maybe Mary Grace can do an expose'.  She's pretty good at exposing stuff no one wants to see.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »
...Regardless of how it's being prosecuted, Gibson opened the door by giving the Feds a reason to go after them. That has nothing to do with news networks at either end of the spectrum.

Agreed. Gibson's behavior (right or wrong) and the facts of this case stand on their own merits. How they are reported in the news is where it becomes political claptrap.

It sure does look like Gibson was breaking the law, or at least gave the FWS sound reason for the raid. On the other hand, I wonder why the company and all the executives named were issued subpoenas for the suspect emails, shipping records, etc. Perhaps the Feds thought the evidence of possible subterfuge on Gibson's part caused them to suspect the company or it's executives might destroy that evidence if served.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
We are not going to turn this into a discussion of Fox News.

But Dave, have I said something negative about a current employee or officer there? On the contrary, I welcome and applaud Fox' employment decision with Mr Beck. He would have stained their image in the long run.

Now it's a different place.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
As has been pointed out, Henry's political affiliations have been more opportunistic than philosophical. That's the nature of business for all but the most partisan. The easy shot is to make this about politics (especially because Henry has tried to make it so) but it's not. It looks increasingly like Gibson not only broke the law but went out of their way to do so. Regardless of how it's being prosecuted, Gibson opened the door by giving the Feds a reason to go after them. That has nothing to do with news networks at either end of the spectrum.

Perfectly agreed.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »
Agreed. Gibson's behavior (right or wrong) and the facts of this case stand on their own merits. How they are reported in the news is where it becomes political claptrap.

It sure does look like Gibson was breaking the law, or at least gave the FWS sound reason for the raid. On the other hand, I wonder why the company and all the executives named were issued subpoenas for the suspect emails, shipping records, etc. Perhaps the Feds thought the evidence of possible subterfuge on Gibson's part caused them to suspect the company or it's executives might destroy that evidence if served.

Now from my professional experience as a lawyer that is as rare as teenage pregnancies in the bible belt. You are really overstating things, Denis!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:29:59 AM by uwe »