Author Topic: Long scale Greco Les Paul 3 pickup bass, anyone?  (Read 7869 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: Long scale Greco Les Paul 3 pickup bass, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
Postage that approaches the base price of the item in question annoys me.  What can I say?  I'm a percentages guy.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »
I'm a numbers guy, the bottom line is the number that matters.  Who or what gets a percentage and how much doesn't matter as long as it's a good deal for me in any transaction.

Potential bidders who are turned off by what they consider unreasonable shipping and/or 'buyer's premium' on an AUCTION just make it easier for a savvy bidder to get a better deal.  I admit, that bass for $350 and $50 shipping would have looked like a really good deal.  IMO if the shipping had been $50 it probably would have sold for more than $350.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »

IMO if the shipping had been $50 it probably would have sold for more than $350.

Yep. That's the seller's mistake for not understanding potential buyers. Even if shipping cost him well more than $50, he could have covered the deficit by increasing the lowest he would accept for the bass. The more reasonable shipping cost would probably have meant more/higher bids on the bass and more net to the seller.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
Sometimes it's a matter of HOW they overcharge.
Sometimes shipping is reasonable but he wants an exorbitant sum for the item. Other times, the item is price fairly, but they gouge on shipping. I've seen people charge over $100 to ship a bass inside the US. That's insane.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »
your average fender type bass can ship for seventeen bucks and some change in the 48. you don't see it that often. :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
To me it's only a matter of what I think the whole package is worth. I've got all the basses I need, but if someone should throw me a bass like the Greco 3 pup at $300.00, including shipping, I might go for it. But it got to be something I really want, if I should pay more for it. Like my first -60's Embassy. That one was $1 000, handed over in a hotel lobby in Brussels by a Swedish diplomat, plus some trouble to get it from the US to Belgium, and then to Sweden, without costs. Now, that was a true experience including one rock musician, that I had never met, one Swedish diplomat - I only knew her step sister - and two Persian teenage twins! Took a couple of weeks, but it didn't cost me a buck! Synchronization is my middle name. ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 07:07:47 AM »
To me it's only a matter of what I think the whole package is worth. I've got all the basses I need, but if someone should throw me a bass like the Greco 3 pup at $300.00, including shipping, I might go for it. But it got to be something I really want, if I should pay more for it. Like my first -60's Embassy. That one was $1 000, handed over in a hotel lobby in Brussels by a Swedish diplomat, plus some trouble to get it from the US to Belgium, and then to Sweden, without costs. Now, that was a true experience including one rock musician, that I had never met, one Swedish diplomat - I only knew her step sister - and two Persian teenage twins! Took a couple of weeks, but it didn't cost me a buck! Synchronization is my middle name. ;)

Now that's quite a story! An Embassy and a diplomat... that must mean the bass has diplomatic immunity.  ;D

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
You're absolutely right in your conslusion, Dave! Which means I'll never sell that bass. Unless the price is right, of course... :rolleyes: