Author Topic: CAD/CAM Wood Fabrication References?  (Read 1736 times)

chromium

• View Profile
CAD/CAM Wood Fabrication References?
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »
I have sort of a cottage industry thing going for some "expression" controllers for music synthesizers.  To date, I've been building the wooden enclosures out of 1x2x8" birch blocks, with a route/channel down the middle to contain the electronics, a few holes drilled for mounting hardware and wiring, and a buffed-out walnut polyurethane finish.  They look like this:

The problem is that I'm not setup as a woodshop, and while it's fun in moderation, I'm not very fast or consistent at the art of manipulating wood.  Let's put it this way- If I never touch my router again, I will still have lived a happy and complete life. :) 

I now have a need to build more of these little buggers faster and better - with tighter tolerances in the fit-and-finish of the enclosure.  My woodworking skills and equipment are not up to this challenge, and I'd rather focus on the electronics side of things anyway - since that's really what this is all about.

What I'm hoping to do is try and draw up the enclosure design in some sort of CAD application, and send the file to a shop for CAM fabrication of a bunch of these enclosures.  Does anyone here have personal experiennces with this kind of stuff?  words of wisdom?  or better- any references to a shop that is equipped and willing to do this type of work? 

Thanks in advance!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: CAD/CAM Wood Fabrication References?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »
There's a cabinet maker on the Refinishing Forum who uses his huge CNC machine to churn out guitar bodies.  Maybe he could help.  Go to http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=19231&highlight=cnc and look for a guy named dougk.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:42:21 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »
You might also contact Saint Lutherie in Nova Scotia.He's a sponsor at the Official Luthiers Forum, which is mostly an acoustic guitar building forum, but he'll apparently do all kinds of work for small ventures.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »
I went back and forth with this decision all week, but I finally caught my second wind.  I decided to tool-up and do this right.  I was using hand tools before, and it was extremely frustrating and took forever to turn these out.  Now with a routing table, table saw, belt& disc sander, drill press, and buffing wheel, I should be able to make fast work of things...  and I can use this stuff for the occasional bass-related project too  :)

Thank you for these contacts.  I'll hang on to them just in case!