Author Topic: There's something in this guy's water...  (Read 1227 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
There's something in this guy's water...
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
Broken truss rod, missing all the electronics, pickguard, truss rod cover, headstock repair and he claims it will arrive "READY TO ROCK!"
Tempted to write the guy and tell him he's smoking crack, but really, what DO you say...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-Jetglo-4001v63-bass-vintage-project-/140602282346?pt=Guitar&hash=item20bc8c916a#ht_1454wt_1073
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: There's something in this guy's water...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
Truss rod replacement is easy on a Rick, if that were the only issue it would be a good deal for a V63 even with a headstock repair, assuming it's solid. Unfortunately: (1) this one has no TRC, and since you can't buy one from RIC without an existing one to turn in, that really knocks the value down by hundreds. (2) it has no electronics. It would be $150 for the toaster and another $200 for the horseshoe, if it ever becomes available again. Add about $100 for the truss rod, controls and pickguard. And $199 for domestic shipping? Crazy.

By comparison, look at the mostly original V63 from Scott (cheyenne) in the for sale forum, sale pending. Far better deal.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
This is what I call "eBay greed". He clearly sold off the other parts to make extra money. I once saw a perfectly fine 70's Ric "parted out" and sold one piece at a time. By the time someone ended up with the body, it's no longer a 70s Ric! Make me sick!

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
"Broken" truss rods in a Rick are simple to fix.
Whether they are old vintage  pre 1985 or the new 'modern' version .
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars