Author Topic: Memories.  (Read 5838 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Memories.
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
I had to chuckle to myself when I saw a Ric forum pop up. I used to have several  Rics a few years ago and was a member of the Ric forum. I left because a particular guitar CEO didn't like my ideas on customer service.  I may have been kicked off, I can't remember.  As long as we have free speech, that remains civil, this is a great idea!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Memories.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
John Hall was a member at the Pit and he's certainly welcome here. He has no problem with differing opinions.

Ricks generate some strong feelings and certain company policies do too. But I'm confident we can discuss them here with civility.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:16:54 AM »
 A lot of people bash John Hall for his diligent pursuit of knock offs.

I saw more power to him. He has every right to protect his design, within the law. They hold their instruments to high standards and never played with the asian entry level game, probably one of the only major US makers not to. i respect them for he way they have carried on as a company.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 07:51:35 AM »
In my experience, John Hall will sometimes go to great lengths to help a Ric owner. When I needed help repairing the truss rods in my '73 4001, he went as far as finding who in Israel (where I live) can manufacture metric truss rod nuts for me, and sent me the details. Not many CEO's will do this.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:57:24 AM »
He's answered several emails from me in the past. I doubt many other CEOs would have taken the time.

OTOH, when you're as personally involved as he chooses to be, then sometimes the criticism gets personal, and that's unfortunate. In the case of RIC, sometimes people get carried away and act as if it's their company.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
A lot of people bash John Hall for his diligent pursuit of knock offs.

The last year a lot of Ric-a-likes came on the market. I believe the patent on the design ios no longer valid.

But John's doing a lot of good things indeed!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »
The last year a lot of Ric-a-likes came on the market. I believe the patent on the design ios no longer valid.

I want to talk about basses, not legal matters. But just to set the record straight, this has nothing to do with patents. It's about RIC's registered trademarks, which are current. They may or may not be easy to enforce in some countries even though there are international trademark treaties.

Everyone's entitled to his own opinions on company policies, trademark laws, etc. But let's keep focused on the basses, the players and the music.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »
I got the message!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »
Oops, weak moment for me. Sorry, didn't mean to stir the pot.  I like my blue Ric a lot. The slimmer neck profile and 2-position tone are nice improvements over the prior 4005s.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
It's all cool!  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 05:00:38 AM »
In my experience, John Hall will sometimes go to great lengths to help a Ric owner. When I needed help repairing the truss rods in my '73 4001, he went as far as finding who in Israel (where I live) can manufacture metric truss rod nuts for me, and sent me the details. Not many CEO's will do this.

I had a similar experience. He himself got in touch with the distributor in Italy and they sent the truss rods directly to me.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...