Author Topic: He sounded like an old Chrysler 300 starting up on a winter day  (Read 3303 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
I have been trying to find a post on the old Dude Pit about a legendary session bass player. The comment was something like "He sounds like an old Chrysler 300 starting up on a winter day, all clangy and nosiy, but it fits right in the mix."

Or something to that effect

Do any of you oldtimers remember that?

Only out of curiousity, really... I'm not being criticized for being a sloppy player... really!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: He sounded like an old Chrysler 300 starting up on a winter day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »
I just remember the distinctive sound of the starter gear drives on the old Chrysler corp V8 motors.  You could always tell them apart from GM & Ford.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
Could it be Chuck Rainey?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:06 AM »
The post was about recording tips. The poster suggested that in addition to going direct, you should use another mic to record breathing, string scratches, fret noise - all the things that we are used to hearing when we play, and are not there when you plug into the board. Then he gave this example and I think Dave is right, he was talking about Chuck Rainey.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »
I brought up Chuck Rainey because I do remember reading somewhere that he made plenty of recording noise but everything fit just great when it was all mixed down.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
FOUND IT!

http://pluto.spaceports.com/~fishbake/RA/kib.htm

The quote you remembered was "Good bass players' tracks always sound noisy when soloed. Chuck Rainey's tracks sound like someone's working on a Buick in the background. But plug it into the mix, and the magic is there."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:29:16 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
Thanks for the link Ilan - cool article! Might have to try that next time I hop in the studio!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
Chrysler 300, Buick, no big difference.

(Dave ducks for cover)

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:57:09 AM »
Many Thanks ilan. That's great!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »

Wow, that's really helpful to me just now, we're going to record a new demo starting in a couple weeks - this is wonderful knowledge, can't wait to apply it! Many thanks for posting it Ilan  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
"Good bass players' tracks always sound noisy when soloed. Chuck Rainey's tracks sound like someone's working on a Buick in the background. But plug it into the mix, and the magic is there."

I could not agree more with that quote!
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Quote from: Bruce Richardson
I have learned a lot about getting good bass sounds working with Chuck - and other artists - and can share a little applied wisdom.

First off, I'm a big fan of Fender basses.

Nooooooooo  ;D

(I kid)

Quote from: Bruce Richardson
I personally try to let the amp mic drive the sound, with DI for some low lows if necessary, and a bit
of the string mike to get a little "metal" in the pops, without having to eq the snot out of the signal.
The string noises, finger scrunches, pick noise, grunting, etc, that the mic picks up are priceless in
terms of putting some humanity in the track. No compression on that mic, by the way.

Spend some time with that amp mic. Get it right. No EQ...just move the mic around till the sound is
as good as you can possibly get...WITH THE TRACK. At least the drums. If it won't sit in the mix as
tracked, then you're going to fight the bass sound till the bitter end.

Guess its easy to take for granted all of the "acoustic" artifacts that come from an electric instrument.  Never would have thought to try mic'ing the strings.  Cool tips 8)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:26:14 AM »
Micing the strings? You gotta be kidding.
In a loud rock band you really don't hear the strings ring in the room. No matter how good your ears are. Recording them and adding them to the mix seems silly to me.

Adding noise does not make you a better bass player. Good bass playing does.
And yes good bass players can sound pretty noisy when soloed.
But I don't believe a mediocre bass player's recording will improve when you add any noise.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 03:42:24 AM »
Hmm, I didnt take it as micing the strings, that does seem weird. I make enough clicks and snaps when I play my favourite style of playing that no micing of strings is necessary anyway. Very little of it comes out in the DI strip though, mostly it gets picked up by the amp mic/s. However if a song needs a more astute sound then obviously the style of attack on the strings etc is modified and becomes less rattley.
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:25 AM »
It sounded like this guy leans heavily on the amp mic, but he also grabs a DI and a feed from a condenser mic placed around the neck pickup/fretboard (with the bassist in an iso closet).  Most of his sound comes from a blend of amp mic and DI, but he uses the condenser to add a slight bit of the string sounds that the bassist would typically hear as he's playing.  I think his point was that the bassist's overall "perceived sound" includes those subtle artifacts (that extra zing coming from the string noise, etc..), and by blending that in he can recreate that perceived sound once the bassist is done tracking and back in the control room.