Author Topic: '78 Tele bass  (Read 9956 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Prepping body for new Humbucker.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:27 AM »
I am going to leave all four pickups in the bass and have four vol. controls, no tone.
I'd go with master volume, master tone, and either a 5-position lever switch or some kind of varitone. Or maybe start with 5 switches, experiment for a couple of weeks, see what combinations work for you, then wire the varitone or lever switch with the best ones.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:53:15 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '78 Tele bass
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:45 AM »
That could easily be one of the last ones shipped.
I thought they ended production in '78, I guess a few shipped out in early '79. It is a shame about all the mods but then I wouldn't have gotten it so cheap  ;D Anyway lots of vintage fum for very little dough. Beats having some kid buy it and plaster it with stickers. I might someday fill the routes, do a ash veneer over the top and re-shoot the three tone sunburst, don't know though sounds like awful lot of work for little gain.......................besides it's cool as is.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Prepping body for new Humbucker.
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:28 AM »
I'd go with master volume, master tone, and either a 5-position lever switch or some kind of varitone. Or maybe start with 5 switches, experiment for a couple of weeks, see what combinations work you, then wire the varitone or lever switch with the best ones.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm a rotary switch might work, I could put a Fender knob on it, rotary, vol, tone. I could keep it to three controls..............................I like simple. any ideas on what kind of rotary swith ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
I thought they ended production in '78, I guess a few shipped out in early '79. It is a shame about all the mods but then I wouldn't have gotten it so cheap  ;D Anyway lots of vintage fum for very little dough. Beats having some kid buy it and plaster it with stickers. I might someday fill the routes, do a ash veneer over the top and re-shoot the three tone sunburst, don't know though sounds like awful lot of work for little gain.......................besides it's cool as is.

Hard to know when production officially ended. Other Fender models have shown up with 78 serial numbers and 79 pots or date stickers.

If it's ever important to you to get it close to the original look, you can deal with it. I don't see the point though, unless you wanted to get an original pickup.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
 I bought a new Squier pup to put in it, they sound very close to the original. Not only is it engraved Fender on the top cover but it is also stamped Fender on the bottom, no Squier markings.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
Got the pg :) Thanks Harry (hermonyious)! I won't be able to use it but is is great for a pattern. Having the guard really shows me the best way to approach this project.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
I bought a new Squier pup to put in it, they sound very close to the original. Not only is it engraved Fender on the top cover but it is also stamped Fender on the bottom, no Squier markings.

The innards aren't the same, though. That's why I don't see the need to restore it to where it's original otherwise.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
 Well for me I like the big humbucker, so for me putting even the Squier one in makes sense. I also love the looks of the original pg so I want to do that. As of right now with pg in on hand I am going to do Humbucker, P and J. I am back down to three vol. controls, no tone. I'd love to keep the single coil but 4 pups is way to much for me.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:26 AM »
Well for me I like the big humbucker, so for me putting even the Squier one in makes sense weather or not it is a exact duplicat of the original or not. I also love the looks of the original pg so I want to do that. As of right now with pg in on hand I am going to do Humbucker, P and J. I am back down to three vol. controls, no tone. I'd love to keep the single coil but 4 pups is way to much for me.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
i think you should keep all 4. since it's already routed and otherwise the finish is mint,plus you have every fender pup in one bass.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »
All or nothing! For the time being I am using the pg Harry supplied but I will make a new one at some point. For now I am thinkin vol tone and a six way varitone.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
bet it sounds great just like that.  I have had a yearning to do a lotto bass but with a either scpb or standard p bass in between the HB and some S/s/p switching.    My guess it will sound very similar to what you have right now as the second HB would be right about where the j and p are closest together.   Are the scpb and the jbass reverse wound to get rid of some of the hum??? 

I agree about the sunburst.  nice color
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »
 I may just go 4 vol. controls not sure yet. I am really happy with the look of the big pick guard it really ties everything in.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:57:01 AM by godofthunder »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
Glad I could help - that pickguard has just been sitting around, so I'm glad it's going to some use. Looks good to me! Does it not quite fit or something?

My Tele lives near Boston now - would be cool to get together but Rochester is pretty far away!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »
 Harry, thanks so much again! At the end of the pg the control cavity was routed out a bit so there is a screw hole from the metal 50's style plate that the pg doesn't cover, also the holes for the control spacing might not work out. I am just happy to have it looking like something, it HAD to have the guard and a humbucker. Still not sure on wiring. I hate lots of knobs so i am thinking vol. and a 6 position varitone or 4 vol. Time will tell !