Author Topic: '78 Tele bass  (Read 9954 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'78 Tele bass
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
 Much modded a whole bunch of extra pups, everything but the kitchen sink. What the heck, looks pretty cool and the price was right  ;D http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-telecaster-bass-1978-sunburst#
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:31:25 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '78 Tele bass
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
  I think I need to order a Fender muddy bucker
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:30:17 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
Plenty of room by the neck...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
 Just what I was think'n bro ! I'm giddy about this bass :) it needs a home.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:20:10 PM by godofthunder »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Yupper, plenty of room for a mudbucker at the neck and a lipstick pickup just above the bridge.  Then if you can find a 35-way-switch for all the pickup combinations, you'll be in great shape!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
 The "plan" is to make a correct pg, remove the single coil 50's style pup (to bad I like those) leave the P and J and install a big 'ol Fender humbucker at the neck. I always have liked these bases from the 70's when the modding craze set in. For all the work done on the bass it has been well cared for, that or not a whole lot of playing time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:17:47 PM by godofthunder »

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
I generally dislike post-72 Tele basses, but one of the better ones I ever played was a late one like this, with no string through.  Peculiar mods there.  But it has the big swimming pool rout under there for a mud pup.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »
Congrats! Any reason why the single-coil P-bass pickup has to go?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:01:22 AM »
 I want to install a correct pg and install the big Fender bucker at the neck. Four pickups is a bit much. Most likely the single coil route will be covered by the new pg.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
Yeah, the original pickguard has a nice slope to it - I had to do some minor adjustments to mine because of where the split-P was put.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
nice bass.  i think Scott is becoming a closet fender fan ;D ;D

IMO the single coil pbass pup will be missed.  they sound great especially with a nice tube growl like Ronnie Woods.  Not sure you would use the bridge pup much and i didn't think you were a pbass sweet spot kinda guy.  Is the p pup in the correct spot,  looks slightly back but that could be an illusion because of the other pups
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
 I love the single coil pup, far better than the J or split P. I just can't see four pickups on this thing. The P and J pup are not going anywhere, I am not going to fill the routes and refin it.  Besides I love the three color burst. The ideal configuration for me would be the Humbucker at the base of the neck and the single coil where it is. Who knows I might leave it as is but it really needs the Humbucker imho. I paid less than $700 for it I don't think I can loose no matter what I do to it. Closet Fender fan? It's a possibility, as long as I can make 'em sound like a Gibson. Lets see '74 fretless P, '73 black and maple P, '11 RW J, Squier Tele (VMP) and now the '78 Tele.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:27:31 PM by godofthunder »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »
NIIIICCCEE!!!! Just to play devil's advocate, pull the split-P and bridge J, do a little routing and put in a Gibby mudbucker there with a Fender mudbucker at the neck, while leaving the single coil intact. Put in a five-way switch, wire to taste and cure constipation for hundreds of miles around you.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »
What is the weight on that one? Larger nut width?

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
NIIIICCCEE!!!! Just to play devil's advocate, pull the split-P and bridge J, do a little routing and put in a Gibby mudbucker there with a Fender mudbucker at the neck, while leaving the single coil intact. Put in a five-way switch, wire to taste and cure constipation for hundreds of miles around you.

gibson mudd won't work for string spacing  mid body..  it would move mountains however :mrgreen:
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM