Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163411 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #555 on: September 01, 2016, 03:44:33 AM »
I think the new album with Josh Homme is brilliant.
Never cared too much for Iggy. (Although Lust For Life has proven to be an all time classic that survived the Punk hype)

But he is different than anything you'll ever hear. You immediately recognize Iggy's music. Even the world hit single China Girl that he wrote has Iggy's signature all over, even when somebody else sings it (Bowie). I think that is quite an achievement. To be unique and to keep being it for decades.

This new collaboration with Josh Homme is what synergy is all about, as far as I'm concerned. Homme is unique. Iggy is unique. And together they create something that
is possibly even better. That song Sunday has a great riff, great rhythm section, great vibe. Better than most crap you hear on the radio.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:28:33 PM by Basvarken »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 01, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
I consider Iggy Pop to be vastly overrated. When your whole schtick is that you should be dead, but somehow you aren't, then it wears a bit thin after a while. I have a CD copy of that brickwall'd re-release of Raw Power sitting around somewhere.  :bored:

I never heard that that was supposed to be his shtick or that he had one. Like him or not, he's just a high-energy rocker who pleases his fans.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2016, 07:07:45 AM »
When your whole schtick is that you should be dead, but somehow you aren't, then it wears a bit thin after a while.

You're thinking of Keith Richards.  8)

I'm not going to claim to be some kind of Iggy Pop super fan, but I think he was hugely influential, and pretty f'ing cool in a wild, out of control way. And if Bowie worshiped the guy, that's good enough for me. I also once named a cat after him.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
I like when he does ballads. Really. He has a nice manly deep voice and that carries a ballad well. Of course he misses more notes than a vintage Johnny Cash did, but that is part of the charm package!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevMDFfb5Ao

And anybody that starts a love ballad with: "I wanna f*** her on the floor - among my books of ancient lore ..." is a true romantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zeaKWPEkQ
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2016, 11:01:59 PM »
I enjoy most of his stuff... great live too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 04, 2016, 04:40:16 AM »
This clip ticks a ll the boxes for me, EB bass, old Peavey backline and a song about food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0HEQ8WSuA

And a song about roadies and groupies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_dodhR7bQ

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #561 on: September 05, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
I like when he does ballads. Really. He has a nice manly deep voice and that carries a ballad well. Of course he misses more notes than a vintage Johnny Cash did, but that is part of the charm package!

And anybody that starts a love ballad with: "I wanna f*** her on the floor - among my books of ancient lore ..." is a true romantic.

As much as I like Iggy, I accept that his ballady moments are often quite full of Limburger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLOjmY--TA

But yeah, that line is good, and not the only one in Nazi Girl, where he seems to be channelling Lou Reed at least lyrically. Guitar is very 16 year old who's into Zepplin, and charming in that way.  There will always be a soft spot in my heart for Candy despite how terrible it is. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 05, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »
This clip ticks a ll the boxes for me, EB bass, old Peavey backline and a song about food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0HEQ8WSuA

And a song about roadies and groupies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_dodhR7bQ

They were stoned our of their minds at that German TV show, but I just love Doctor Hook and what Shel Silverstein wrote for them.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 07, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
I've seen the whole Dr Hook appearance once or twice. A hilarious trainwreck of a show.

Anyway... The Liverbirds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTYl3RtyQc0&feature=youtu.be&t=757

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »

But he is different than anything you'll ever hear. You immediately recognize Iggy's music. Even the world hit single China Girl that he wrote has Iggy's signature all over, even when somebody else sings it (Bowie). I think that is quite an achievement. To be unique and to keep being it for decades.

IIRC it was the other way round,
 Bowie wrote the song for Iggy, then later on decided he wanted to record his own version

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2016, 12:36:38 AM »
They co-wrote it. Iggy released it in 1977. In 1983 Bowie scored his world hit with the song.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2016, 07:41:27 AM »
Bowie was a musical genius, but he was also a vampire for inspiration, sucking up influences from people as diverse as Dylan, Hunter/Mott the Hoople, Marc Bolan, Lou Reed/Velvets, Iggy/Stooges, Phillysound, Robert Fripp, Kraftwerk, Chic and Scott Walker (uncannily on my office Brennan B2 as I write this!). Most likely, all of Iggy's albums together achieved less sales than Bowie's Let's Dance (which had China Girl on it), Herr Osterberg could certainly use the royalties at the time. Those late 70ies "comeback" albums of Iggy have Bowie's production and songwriting written all over them, they are dead ringers to Bowie's Berlin output of the time, albeit more accessible, Bowie obviously kept the toally off-the-wall stuff for himself or James O. didn't want to do it.

Iggy and Bowie rubbed off on each other and both profitted from it. Iggy's ingenious rhythm section of the Sales Bros would later be 50% of the great Tin Machine, to my mind still Bowie's most criminally underrated project. And Tin Machine had quite a bit of Iggy influence in it too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:53:03 AM by uwe »

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »
I heard a story which may or may not be true, but I hope is,
  That Bowie had some contractual thing going on where someone (manager? Angie?) had some kind of legal right to a percentage of his output so Bowie specifically kept anything he wrote during the Berlin period that he knew would be a massive hit in his back pocket til the thing had expired, and then put them all on Let's Dance

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »
speaking about Bowie:

https://youtu.be/BHkhIjG0DKc

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
That vid wasn't even serious in its original form. The Stones btw were another great influence on Bowie, Diamond Dogs (the song) and Rebel Rebel are both consciously written as Stones homages. You can hear the Brown Sugar on Bowies mind when listening to Diamond Dogs.

When Mick Taylor left the Stones around 1975, Mick Ronson (who had been fired by Bowie prior to Diamond Dogs, the album)was rumoured to be his replacement (a third Mick in the Stones!). It never happened, but Ronson would have been a great fit in the Stones, both musically and visually.