Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 164353 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »
Now that seems to be a simple enough to apply criterion, thank you!

Let's see the theory at work then ... voilĂ : George McCrae is not country!!!

That's what I like about Dave, his advice is always easy to use and works in any situation.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
Now that seems to be a simple enough to apply criterion, thank you!

Let's see the theory at work then ... voilĂ : George McCrae is not country!!!

That's what I like about Dave, his advice is always easy to use and works in any situation.

Who?

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
Dave Who, from Whoville .........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
Who's on stage?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Of course this has been posted before.  But I think you can hear the bass better on this and there may be more shots of Andy Fraser.  Maybe this version has already been posted, too, but I didn't see it. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 20, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
iirc I (might have) posted a longer version of the show but no harm with something as good as this...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
iirc I (might have) posted a longer version of the show but no harm with something as good as this...!

This morning I unexpectedly saw this particular version on TV & was pleasantly surprised by it.  It's better than most of what you're going to see on TV, period. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 21, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »
Interesting vocal mic setup there.  I assume that's a crude attempt at crowd noise cancelling.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #474 on: July 21, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
I always thought they had them out of phase, to fight feedback problems. PA systems were pretty crappy back in those days.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 23, 2015, 03:19:45 AM »
John Bradley of Gary Clark jr with an early LP Junior shape EB-0 - exactly what he played all through the set when I saw the band last night in Darmstadt.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »
gary clarke, the new robert cray and palatable for white folks,too. clarke is more blusier than crays r&b but still sounds manufactured and industry approved.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:32:05 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »
I always thought they had them out of phase, to fight feedback problems. PA systems were pretty crappy back in those days.

Yeah, except with that one mic backwards (vs the other 2), you don't actually have to flip the phase on it; it's out of phase by placement.

If they had floor monitors, it would have increased feedback.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
gary clarke, the new robert cray and palatable for white folks,too. clarke is more blusier than crays r&b but still sounds manufactured and industry approved.

To his credit/excuse: He was knackered from flying over from the states and didn't have his guitars with him. The band has an excellent groove and must have better nights. My son is currently not speaking to me because I quipped about his idol, but here we are amongst ourselves:

- Lenny Kravitz would have done a better job though the audience was very (in my view: too) benevolent with what was essentially a lacklustre performance. He could have had the over-sold out place cooking, instead he stumbled through the set like some college band.

- Nofi, you'll scold me as Germanic again, but from a modern day blues guitarist I expect full fretboard dexterity (from any lead guitarist worth his salt actually). Know where your notes are or at least feel them for Chrissake!! Herr Clark was not born in segregation in a Mississippi shack and had to play a broken two string guitar shoebox with a five fret neck because the Ku Klux Klan kept him from going to school. He could have learned to improvise freely over the neck, it's not that hard, it's only 12 notes and they repeat themselves. This guy had his hands glued to one position in the neck when he soloed. Jimi Hendrix he is not.

- Bum notes: One bum note can be charming, more bum notes a form of expression. Consistently bum notes - more so than Slash on a bad day - is just not having done your homework (because the Ku Klux Klan wouldn't let you?). Herr Clark can't even solo properly in a major key over a major chord progression. Someone should give him a Status Quo album or maybe Francis Rossi can take the time to teach him directly the art of major as opposed to minor pentatonic soloing. Listening to "Jessica" or even "Sweet Home Alabama" would help too in case Status Quo albums are all too hard to get in the US.  >:(

I'm ranting now, I know, but I've witnessed too many Carlos Santana, Ritchie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Bonamassa, Steve Hillage, Alex Lifeson, Rory Gallagher, David Gilmour, Uli Roth, Buck Dharma, Tony Iommi, Warren Haynes, Billy Squier, Michael Schenker, Laurie Wisefield/Andy Powell, Francis Rossi, Peter Frampton, Mark Knopfler, Steve Morse, Reeves Gabrels, Ted Nugent, Steve Vai, Phil Manzanera, Randy Rhoads, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page, Kerry Livgren, Bernie Marsden, Steve Lukather, Gary Moore, Steve Stevens, Glenn Tipton, Brad Whitford and Mick Ronson solos at live gigs to be impressed by Herr Clark. He is less than average - that includes Angus Young and Slash. Behind all the trendy vintage mojo crap the emperor has no clothes on. Or had left them in the US that night.

- You thankfully mentioned Robert Cray. I had the good fortune to see the man at a small club gig some months ago - he only played two or three songs from his popular phase, but he played and sang wonderfully. With taste, feeling and - that's no contradiction - technique. Of course Cray is a much more controlled player than Herr Clark, but that doesn't make him less expressive. Someone who is not either shouting at you all the time or mumbling unintelligibly can still tell a story.

If my son reads this, he will disinherit me! 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:56:14 PM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
i agree with you. i got no emotional charge out of this guy at all. too bad since clarke seems to be the current authentic black blues guy the white entertainment bosses like to throw at us every now and then. why couldn't they have discovered r.l. burnside twenty years ago.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead