Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163342 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
Joey Molland's Badfinger is still with us. He lives in suburban Minneapolis and plays a number of festival dates every year.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 21, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
The Badfinger video was a BBC item...
two points...
All BBC live appearances had to have a different mix if they were "miming" for MU compliance reasons, so lots of those TOTP (or similar) differ from the originals...
At the end you see a "blond" presenter who has no become the most vilified person in British "celebrity" history - 50 years of undetected and unbelieved sexual assaults ranging from kiddies to elderly... his family have now dug up his remains, smashed his marker (which had "It was fun while it lasted") and had his remains cremated and scattered so he has no mortal place to note he passed this way... lots of editing to remove him from BBC recordings going on... his story is truly sickening... :o

Badfinger were brilliant but so tragic, and as for the lyrics to Without You, considering his demise...

Do we now have to rewrite British pop history just because Jimmy Savile was an undetected/"conveniently ignored for too long" pedophile? I'm all for giving those people a trial when they are still alive, but acting like they weren't there at the time when they were there is intellectually dishonest and historical revisionism. It's like Tony Iommi wiping Dave Holland's (ex-Trapeze and Judas Priest-sticksman, convicted child molester, proclaims his innocence) drum tracks off one of his solo albums. And I prefer reading Phil Spector's production credits on future "River Deep, Mountain High" releases too, convicted murder (many decades after the production) or not.

If we started emptying our museums of all art that was painted/created by people that would today qualify as child molesters, we would sure look at a lot of blank walls. The whole concept strikes me as archaic and superstitious: Let's eradicate all evil from our historical records and - voilà! - it never happened or at least we are not reminded of it anymore. Easy way out. I won't burn my Rolf Harris CD where he spoofed a couple of rock classics (some of them quite entertainingly) and don't see myself advocating pedophilia if I don't (in any case, it was a gift from someone who had illegally made a copy of his CD, so it was actually to the damage of Rolf Harris!).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:49:28 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:37 AM »
Joey Molland's Badfinger is still with us. He lives in suburban Minneapolis and plays a number of festival dates every year.

He's the only one left alive from the at least classic (if not original, he joined later) Badfinger line-up.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Do we now have to rewrite British pop history just because Jimmy Savile was an undetected/"conveniently ignored for too long" pedophile? I'm all for giving those people a trial when they are still alive, but acting like they weren't there at the time when they were there is intellectually dishonest and historical revisionism. It's like Tony Iommi wiping Dave Holland's (ex-Trapeze and Judas Priest-sticksman, convicted child molester, proclaims his innocence) drum tracks off one of his solo albums. And I prefer reading Phil Spector's production credits on future "River Deep, Mountain High" releases too, convicted murder (many decades after the production) or not.

If we started emptying our museums of all art that was painted/created by people that would today qualify as child molesters, we would sure look at a lot of blank walls. The whole concept strikes me as archaic and superstitious: Let's eradicate all evil from our historical records and - voilà! - it never happened or at least we are not reminded of it anymore. Easy way out. I won't burn my Rolf Harris CD where he spoofed a couple of rock classics (some of them quite entertainingly) and don't see myself advocating pedophilia if I don't (in any case, it was a gift from someone who had illegally made a copy of his CD, so it was actually to the damage of Rolf Harris!).

It's terrible that Savile was able to get away with what he did, and for so long, but it's really disturbing to see his history erased, if that's what's going on. It's even more than intellectually dishonest. Hiding his past is the kind of action that lulls people into being complacent instead of being on guard against future offenders.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
I think it may be darker (in higher places) and there is a lot of guilt that it was so blatant, but so many chose blinkers... a certain British entertainment company has so much to answer for... incredible, considering how obvious it was and for how many decades he was involved with kids programmes...
There is something (very much) going on at present where police officers are being asked to come forward; also that they will be protected from prosecution, for being ordered to look the other way... :o

How I will always remember Saville now... :mrgreen:

Somebody find a bit of EB footage... please...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 22, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

Somebody find a bit of EB footage... please...

How about a sunburst EB-2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NSJb9rombI

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
I hardly ever see Gibson basses. As it turns out this local group, Big Mean Sound Machine out of Ithaca, is fronted by the bass player (composition, arrangements, production) who seems to favor the vintage models. In the video he is playing an SG with a slot head

You catch a glimpse of his SG in the opening sequence and a better shot of the head stock at about 3:12.  I'd be curious to know more about that bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZ4eM9R7Bo

Riff-driven funk. These guys are worth catching if they play in your area

I saw them on a gig recently and the bass looked like a vintage hollowbody (EB-O ?): archtop, 2-f-holes and single pickup at the neck, classic pickguard.  You can see it in some of their other videos but it's hard to make out.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:30:19 AM by Bargeon »
Dyslexics untie!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 24, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Bargeon, The SG bass as you say is actually called an EB-0. It's confusing because Gibson calls their two pickup short scale bass with the same shape an SG bass now. A good site to learn about vintage Gibson basses and their variations over the years  is flyguitars.com
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #383 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »
Yup, EB-0 and it sounds like one, too.

The slothead is specific to certain years but I'm not a Gibby expert so I won't guess which.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #384 on: July 24, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
69-71.  Marks the transition between Series I and II EB0/3s (electronic and structural differences).... yeah, go check out Fly guitars - Jules has got all that documented better than Wikipedia.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
thanks for the help guys.
There is a RumbleSeat Music in Ithaca http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/
and I suspect they take advantage.
Dyslexics untie!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #386 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »
thanks for the help guys.
There is a RumbleSeat Music in Ithaca http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/
and I suspect they take advantage.
]
LOL; dealers.

from their southwest location:

1967 Gibson EB-3 “Cherry”
Easily Playable Late 60's Neck with a Rare 3 Way Toggle Switch Instead of Varitone Switch! w/OHSC $1800.

LOL, above market (or higher end of market at least) price for a modified bass.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
I hardly ever see Gibson basses. As it turns out this local group, Big Mean Sound Machine out of Ithaca, is fronted by the bass player (composition, arrangements, production) who seems to favor the vintage models. In the video he is playing an SG with a slot head

You catch a glimpse of his SG in the opening sequence and a better shot of the head stock at about 3:12.  I'd be curious to know more about that bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZ4eM9R7Bo

Riff-driven funk. These guys are worth catching if they play in your area

I saw them on a gig recently and the bass looked like a vintage hollowbody (EB-O ?): archtop, 2-f-holes and single pickup at the neck, classic pickguard.  You can see it in some of their other videos but it's hard to make out.

Now that is one cool band, je suis impressed! Love the Hohner Clavinet!!!

As to the bass:

Walnut finish mudbucker-powered short-scale EB-0 (maho body and set maho neck) from the late sixties when Gibson inexplicably went for that "classical guitar" look as headstocks go. Not as collectible as an early or mid-sixties EB-0, but it has its own qualities, sturdier in build and a bit more flesh to it, incredibly deep-sounding. Love it or hate it instrument. Prevalent in the sixties and early seventies (in various shapes and forms), but lost ground when bass sound tastes changed thereabouts. Almost off the map from the midseventies to the nineties, slight resurgence in more recent times, which is the reason why Gibson released the SG Bass, which is not a true reissue of the EB-0 but echoes some of its traits in a more modern, milder, less opinion-splitting guise.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
Rumble seat music at Ithaca's 71' walnut slot head isn't a bad deal for $1,250 and the 62' black pickup cover EB-0 is mighty tempting at $1,850.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
Ahhhh... refreshment... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...