Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163272 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
... Funny seeing that vid now, I bet poor Gary did not envisage that he'd be the first to go among those three.

Jack's liver was first.

Somebody, I suppose, might try to argue that Ginger Baker doesn't look so good, either.  My answer to that would be that he is too much of a living legend now for that to make much difference.  In fact, during Cream, I think Ginger may have looked the coolest of all, kind of like a pirate/rock star combination. 

Ginger always looked like a character from a horror movie, with a personality to match. But he's a drummer, not a frontman.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
I have a friend who is a big fan of both Cream and BBM.  He seems totally convinced that it was Gary Moore's looks which kept BBM down.  When it comes to matters such as these, he can make a convincing case, since he is convinced that rock stars should always look the part.  The point being, of course, that the public cares very much how someone looks.  Somebody, I suppose, might try to argue that Ginger Baker doesn't look so good, either.  My answer to that would be that he is too much of a living legend now for that to make much difference.  In fact, during Cream, I think Ginger may have looked the coolest of all, kind of like a pirate/rock star combination. 

Your friend is not alone. Gene Simmons said the same thing about Gary Moore in the eighties: that if it wasn't for his looks he'd conquer American radio and MTV. In my view it's not a recipe for success, but it can help more than a little. Peter Frampton was a good guitarist, capable songwriter and had a hard-earned touring pedigree both with Humble Pie and his own band - still, Frampton Comes Alive did not sell for the music alone.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Jack's liver was first.

Ginger always looked like a character from a horror movie, with a personality to match. But he's a drummer, not a frontman.

Now Ginger looks so bad he reminds me very much of the way my father looked before he died.  I see no way he could be in good health.  However, during the Cream days, he did dress the part of a rock star, IMO.  I thought Jack went a little over the top with that fur hat.  Eric Clapton looked way too much like a dandy.  It's all subjective, but Ginger did look cool to me.  Now, however, he acts like a madman, and probably always did.  Like breaking the reporter's nose who was doing the article on him.  Stuff like that is just inexcusable. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
Your friend is not alone. Gene Simmons said the same thing about Gary Moore in the eighties: that if it wasn't for his looks he'd conquer American radio and MTV. In my view it's not a recipe for success, but it can help more than a little. Peter Frampton was a good guitarist, capable songwriter and had a hard-earned touring pedigree both with Humble Pie and his own band - still, Frampton Comes Alive did not sell for the music alone.

I wasn't even aware that Gene Simmons said that.  He gets criticized a lot for being outspoken.  I can take it or leave it, but find that much of the time he is accurate, although maybe a little too brutally honest. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Quark, Strangeness & Charm (and a 60ies EB-0 you can actually hear ...)
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
Herr Kilminster's successor digs in and Hawkwind do Roxy Music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPLgGWMndc
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:40:01 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
The bass player with Eli Paperboy Reed plays a Gibson EB-0 on a lot of their live footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDt18FFOx1g

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
The bass player with Eli Paperboy Reed plays a Gibson EB-0 on a lot of their live footage

That sounds to me like a newer EB-0, not the older mudbucker version.  Nice playing -  I dig that!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
I don't know of a new EB-0. The reissued ones were all EB-3 (named SG Bass) weren't they?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Quark, Strangeness & Charm (and a 60ies EB-0 you can actually hear ...)
« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
Herr Kilminster's successor digs in and Hawkwind do Roxy Music.

I think that's Lemmy's replacement's replacement... (Paul Rudolph then Adrian Shaw) ... all very confusing considering that Brock was also missing there and Nik Turner was gone, so it was more Bob Calvert and friends... saw the previous tour with Atom (spinal) Henge...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2013, 07:52:58 AM »
I don't know of a new EB-0. The reissued ones were all EB-3 (named SG Bass) weren't they?

They were. The only modern EB-0 is the Epi one which as their workhorse starter model has been in their catalog for ages. By the sound it could well be an early sixties Gibson though (when mud hadn't gone overboard yet, more a middish growl) or one after market equipped with a - gasp! - Model 1 which would explain the more audible sound.

Gibson hasn't (re)issued one pup basses in a long time, the newish Grabber II excepted, the most "recent" ones I can think of all stem from the early to mid eighties, i.e. original Grabber, the WRC "Clown" basses with their sole Rick Turner diamond shaped split-coil (which never made it into production) and the Victory Standard. Plus the 1986 limited run of TB Rev IIs for Japan.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
Any 60s EB-0 is capable of sounding like that with the right amp.

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcolSoKZjc

Love Trevor Bolder's (RIP) tone in this one. Forgive if it's been previously posted.

:mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
Any 60s EB-0 is capable of sounding like that with the right amp.

OK, I'll believe you...although it sounds too bright to be a mudbucker to me.

I wasn't aware of how long it had been since Gibson offered an EB-0 model.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 15, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
Thelast ones came out in the late seventies, sales were already miniscule by then. No one in his right mind wanted a deep sounding short scale back then. In the following decades gibson didn't even produce a short scale up to the advent of the SG reissue.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 15, 2013, 04:06:03 AM »

Love Trevor Bolder's (RIP) tone in this one. Forgive if it's been previously posted.

:mrgreen:

Great footage, havent seen this. Lost tapes are always fun!
I recently got back a cassette with the 'only known recording' of a band i had back in '93.
The band lasted for about a month, and was just some friends having a good time between other band projects.
I always record and document, so hearing this for the first time in 20 years got me tasting the lost tape-fruits big time!

From that day I never borrowed tapes to drummers.