Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163232 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
Very hard to see, but it looks like a Les Paul bass between 3:35 and 3:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Very hard to see, but it looks like a Les Paul bass between 3:35 and 3:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

I think that is probably an ESP that looks like a Les Paul.  I know I have seen that bassist Will Boyd at least once with a Les Paul-shaped ESP.  However, I do think he plays different basses, so it isn't like it's easy to pin down exactly what he might have played at any given time. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
at 1.56 it looks like he has a thunderbird pickup in the rear position of that eb3.or it might just be the video...
Louder bass!.

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
forgive me if this has been posted.
Bit of Tbird action at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3OwLV4s6PY&list=FLN6cpS0gtVLCvfRSYY5jx1Q&index=40&feature=plpp_video

I don't think it's been posted in this thread. Even if it had, you're forgiven.  :)

It has been posted in another thread awhile back as a good example of how Woody rode the E string on the Tbird while mostly avoiding it on his short scales.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »
at 1.56 it looks like he has a thunderbird pickup in the rear position of that eb3.or it might just be the video...

It certainly does - but my guess is that we´re fooled by the fact that the metal paint on the bridge pickup ring is not yet stripped off. If the pup also is flush with the ring, it sure looks like T bird pup. This instrument seems to be from the early side of the sixties, and they all came with the metal painted bridge pup surround.

Anyway, this is a really good looking bass, love that finish! I´d go monk for a while too, if I could get a hold of one with original polaris white finish.

Being an AC/DC fan, i also notice the guitar player´s jet firebird, at least it looks like it. Now, what about that fuzzy tone he´s got? After the intro he seems to flick a switch (!) on the guitar an turn the fuzz off. Maybe he´s just muting it.. Or maybe it was him that stole the fuzztone circuit on my ´63 EB0F. He sure looks capable of that sort of thing.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2012, 02:40:29 AM »
yes you need to watch those tricky monks and their monstrous fuzztone no telling what they are getting up to.
Louder bass!.

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
Call me a whimp, I luuuuv that song!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2012, 08:07:08 AM »
Call me a whimp, I luuuuv that song!

Regardless of genre, there are good songs and bad songs - it's that simple. SITP happens to be one of Chicago's good songs. Yeah, they did alot of sappy pop stuff after TK's death, but the earlier hits were usually pretty darn impressive - even the mushy ones. Not to derail (here? ha!) the thread, but Chicago is yet another glaring omission from the RRHOF, as is Three Dog Night (who, BTW, were very adept at choosing "good" songs to record). Both were undeniable chart forces during the early-mid 1970s, at least here in the US - and no slouches in terms of musicianship either. Both are deserving of whatever "prestige" membership in the RRHOF brings.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »
Regardless of genre, there are good songs and bad songs - it's that simple. SITP happens to be one of Chicago's good songs. Yeah, they did alot of sappy pop stuff after TK's death, but the earlier hits were usually pretty darn impressive - even the mushy ones. Not to derail (here? ha!) the thread, but Chicago is yet another glaring omission from the RRHOF, as is Three Dog Night (who, BTW, were very adept at choosing "good" songs to record). Both were undeniable chart forces during the early-mid 1970s, at least here in the US - and no slouches in terms of musicianship either. Both are deserving of whatever "prestige" membership in the RRHOF brings.

Agreed.  In high school, even the metal heads would listen to CTA in the school library.  Three Dog Night was an awesome band!  They usually did covers better than the originals, and they picked a wide variety of material.  Even my kids love Three Dog Night, and it wasn't something that got played around the house much.  A combination of stellar vocals, rock solid band and good material.  Here's them, doing Argent one better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTGfWDamVE
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
You could not escape Three Dog Night at the American school I went to. I never had issues with them, they certainly had a knack of elevating most of the material they covered, kind of like Manfred Mann's Earth Band whose covers always sounded better to me than the originals. And I did own "Cyan" as an album and only a few years ago bought a bunch of their CDs.

And if Joy to the World doesn't put you in an ebullient mood a couple of seconds into the intro, you have no heart!

I saw Chicago a year or two ago, not expecting much, I only came for Blood, Sweat & Tears, their opening act. Contrary to all expectations, Chicago gave a firework of a great show of their material old and new(ish), hugely varied, but without any seams showing, I was very entertained and the musicianship was top notch. Nice bass playing (and singing) by Jason Scheff too. I'd go see them again anytime.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
May i be first to say.....f*** THE Rock and Roll Hall of Shame!!!Whew....wheres the tylenol....
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
Chicago and Three Dog Night were very big back in the day -- late 60s, early 70s. I liked some of TDN's earlier stuff although it sounds overproduced to me now. Hoyt Axton's original Joy To The World beats theirs IMHO.