Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163425 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
Tenuosity (if it's even a word) alert!

It is now... and a perfectly acceptable vid... ;D

... got me thinking about the most Hiwatts ever in once place...

Wot, Dave Reeve's garage...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
I love the harmony-drenched, beatlenesque, "my-name-is-Jim-Lea-and-I'm-a-serious-musician-please-don't-judge-us-on-how-our-lead-guitarist-dresses"-Slade best. The really hard rocking Slade - particularly in the latter part of their (second) career were a bit too heavy-handed for me. In comparison to "Miles out to sea" and "When the lights are out" - both compositional genius - a track like "Lock up your daughters" sounds like a Kiss B side (yes, they could still play that song convincingly due to their enegized live prowess, but the composition itself is "nuzzing to rite 'ome a-bout". Speaking of Kiss, the best non-Slade Slade song ever written is still Crazy, Crazy Nights, don't you agree?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Wot, Dave Reeve's garage...? ;)

;D  Touche M'seiu!

I love the harmony-drenched, beatlenesque, "my-name-is-Jim-Lea-and-I'm-a-serious-musician-please-don't-judge-us-on-how-our-lead-guitarist-dresses"-Slade best. The really hard rocking Slade - particularly in the latter part of their (second) career were a bit too heavy-handed for me. In comparison to "Miles out to sea" and "When the lights are out" - both compositional genius - a track like "Lock up your daughters" sounds like a Kiss B side (yes, they could still play that song convincingly due to their enegized live prowess, but the composition itself is "nuzzing to rite 'ome a-bout". Speaking of Kiss, the best non-Slade Slade song ever written is still Crazy, Crazy Nights, don't you agree?

Impressive Slade history sir! ........ and yes the "old guard" fans knew they were just pandering to their new-found HM fans then.

Little known fact is that the oft quoted retort by Dave Hill of "You write 'em, I'll sell 'em" was actually part of an argument he & Jim had at the BBC regarding Dave being more interested in having his picture taken than learning a new riff.
Hmm, not sure about Crazy Nights, wasn't "I Want You" supposed to be Kiss's homage to their inspiration?
Pity Gene didn't use an SG shape bass at any point - it would keep this On Topic.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
Kiss might quibble about it, Uwe, but I concur... ;D

Stu... how could you not have posted their stuff before - I think that was the first one...

Time to make up for lost time and post a couple, then you lot can go look for more...

All with the EB3, and for an added bonus, two of them feature someone else with the EB3... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XEjl5GNS8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPL9PPy1MI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhUgrMAqIY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za5dO-4jOrg
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:46:51 PM by HERBIE »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
Virginity, chrome and staying on topic are all three overrated.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

Slade, Alice Cooper, Kiss, women's clothing and Gibson basses.........My childhood.

It's why I turned out like I did  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22:22 AM »
Stu... how could you not have posted their stuff before - I think that was the first one...

Oh I think I must have, Scott & myself have bounced a few vids at each other on here over the years.
The white bass that Nod plays in the "Everyday" vid is the exact same bass (when it was red & still had a Mudbucker) that Jim played since forever. He didn't have it long after it was refinished, it was stolen two years later & never seen again. He then had the custom EB3 made which Scott's is a clone of.

My own fave vid of it in use is this one from SF Winterland in '75.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEorSzKII4o

Loving the Alice Cooper stuff too, keep 'em coming!!! He had a lot of i'view airplay here in recent weeks, dunno why, not gigs that I know of - I used to listen to his morning DJ spot on Planet Rock quite a lot too.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »
"Miles out to Sea" and "When The Lights Are Out" are two of my favorites off Old, New, Borrowed, Blue, which is also one of my all time favorite Slade albums. Over here it barley had any impact and I think back in the UK the old guard found  the album a bit soft, never the less I loved it. I also found their later stuff heavy handed but I still enjoyed it though maybe not as much as the early material. Stu the version of BTBW you posted from '80 lacks alot of the power of the Slade Alive version. For reasons you already stated it sounds rushed and frenzied.Jimmy and Dennis Dunaway are the players that made me want to play a EB3, the Thunderbird won out in the end as my main axe but I still love a good EB3..................and my JD ;) http://youtu.be/LyXIVi34sDI
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:09:25 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the link Scott; another excellent piece of editing by Dave Graham there. The original film (a TV show of 6 songs) fades out after the 2nd verse, so he's cobbled together parts of other video & done a fantastic job of fitting it to the music.
When I first heard that version when I was a kid it made me want a Telecaster as well as an EB3. I never heard a Tele tone that sounded more like an egg-slicer plugged into the mains.
So I got me one of those too.......

They used Hear Me Calling by TYA as their regular opener from 1969-1973, changed to one of their own songs for a few years then used it again in 77 & 78 - I loved it. The band came onstage in total darkness, a pin spot on Nod's mic for the first verse & then the stage exploded in light (& pyros in the late 70's) after that. In all the years I never saw Jim bust a string, which is amazing with the way he punishes them.
More EB3 close-ups, with the extra middle (John Birch pup) which Nod also had at the neck in his Tele (multi-purpose from all those pole-pieces).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLdj5V-JBQ
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:38:37 AM by Big_Stu »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »
Thats a great clip! Pre glitter looks like H has yet to go off the deep end. Love the shots off the Modded EB3. It wasn't till about 2003 That I meet Stu and joined SIE that I ever saw video of Slade and was treated to live performances. as a kid I saw them twice on TV both times with dubbed in music over live footage or lip syncing. Stu, Dave Graham and SIE really opened up everything so much I didn't know, I didn't even know about Don's near fatal car crash. Stu that's a great looking Tele! I have been tempted to do that myself!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:20:50 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
"The band came onstage in total darkness, a pin spot on Nod's mic for the first verse & then the stage exploded in light (& pyros in the late 70's) after that. In all the years I never saw Jim bust a string, which is amazing with the way he punishes them."

Indeed. I saw them like that in 78. In a Wiesbaden club with their oversized PA, all muscled up from incessant if commercially futile US touring in the years before. They whispered Hear me Calling into the mike, you could basically just hear their backline, then Noddy sings "Hear me calling LOUD!" and - wahooooom - the full PA is switched on. It was so friggin loud - beyond painful, it was more like being hit by a car - that the guy next to me - how many times have I reported this already here? - had an immediate attack of nose bleed. Very joyous. What's a little nose bleed against a real rock'n'roll experience? I'm sure he never washed that bloodied T-shirt.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Stu that's a great looking Tele! I have been tempted to do that myself!

Great sound too, I put a SD Broadcaster replica pup in the bridge. It's heavy though, I think the control plate is brass - chrome plated, it should have been mirror plastic. No chance of neck dive though!  ;D

"The band came onstage in total darkness, a pin spot on Nod's mic for the first verse & then the stage exploded in light (& pyros in the late 70's) after that. In all the years I never saw Jim bust a string, which is amazing with the way he punishes them."

Indeed. I saw them like that in 78. In a Wiesbaden club with their oversized PA

That'll be down to Charlie their sound man. He loved his toys and used to get awful upset if he couldn't use the full set up, regardless of the size of the venue. I saw them in a tiny disco in Blackpool, England, where the ceiling was so low they couldn't get the PA horns to fit; he moved stuff around so that he could, leaving the band with a tiny stage area so they had to do Shadows type side-steps in one spot. It was like a sauna almost as soon as it started.