Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 163223 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
Tenuosity (if it's even a word) alert! Not a Gibson but very much an EB3 of a custom variety; don't blame me  ;D it's Herbie's fault  :P - got me thinking about the most Hiwatts ever in once place.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHr5tN9u5tI

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »
Slade in ENGLAND??  No way. That was in The Netherlands. At the Lochem festival.
I recognise the old Vara logo above the stage

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
"Slade In England" was THE premier Slade web-site for many years. It's owner Dave "Greywolf" Graham put a great deal of time and effort into cleaning up & distributing rare Slade footage and audio which left many fans deeply grateful.
Yes, it was the Lochem Festival in Holland - he states so in his description on YT.

One fan claims to have the whole gig on video, which most take with a pinch of salt.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
Oh I'm sorry I didn't read the YT notes. The video automatically opened on my iPhone and closed when the song was finished.

I'm pretty sure the Vara (one of the Dutch broadcasters) did not broadcast the entire concert. They usually showed two or three songs by each artist on festivals like these. If that fan has the entire video it must be a video he shot himself, which is highly unlikely with the technical possiblities of home video cameras and getting them past security back in 1981...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
VERY interesting - there are only 3 tracks known to exist for certain. Would you happen to know whether the camera-men you see on stage were solely for that purpose and whether they would have recorded the whole gig to select tracks later OR left the stage the rest of the time?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »
Usually the broadcasting companies (and photographers) only got permission to shoot two or three songs per band on festivals like these. Managements and record companies were pretty anal about high quality footage showing up on the bootleg market.

Even to this day festivals like Pinkpop only show a few songs per artist on TV.
Whereas German broadcasting companies like WDR were allowed to film and broadcast entire concerts at the famous Rockpalast broadcastings.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
OK - thanks; adds to the opinion which cries BS to the guys claims......
better watch out, almost a page of thread hijack going on here......... who's got an EB3 vid quick!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
Okay here's Dutch pride Golden Earring performing their biggest hit Radar Love on a TV show a few years ago.

Rinus rarely plays the EB3, but for this occasion he brought the EB3. The original recording in 1973 was also done on a Gibson EB3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SqYj04zXi8

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
Okay here's Dutch pride Golden Earring performing their biggest hit Radar Love on a TV show a few years ago.

Rinus rarely plays the EB3, but for this occasion he brought the EB3. The original recording in 1973 was also done on a Gibson EB3

Thanks for that.  I had to go and watch the "Twilight Zone" video a few times, too, even if it has no Gibson EB-3 basses. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »

I know you feel as embarrassed about these countrymen of yours as I do sometimes about ze Skörpiöns, but Golden Earring always put a warm feeling in my gut. Danke for posting.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »
Tenuosity (if it's even a word) alert! Not a Gibson but very much an EB3 of a custom variety; don't blame me  ;D it's Herbie's fault  :P - got me thinking about the most Hiwatts ever in once place.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHr5tN9u5tI

Much as I love Slade for everything else, that song never had the cool, creeping and crouching grandeur with them it had with my Landsmann Joachim Fritz Krauledat and his Canadian Freunde:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuguj4Z3Bc8

I would have preferred a live version of How does it Feel, their Stairway to Heaven, but they probably never played that live, right? Keeping in mind how lil' Dave always equated "piano in a song = no hit"!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
I know you feel as embarrassed about these countrymen of yours as I do sometimes about ze Skörpiöns, but Golden Earring always put a warm feeling in my gut. Danke for posting.

Man, I love Golden Earring, always have. There are some great old Earring videos of Rinus with his beat-to-hell Longhorn and with his Ric.
I wish I'd gotten the chance to see them but they haven't toured the US since 1984.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
i assume the drummer will not be leaping over his kit at this point in his life. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
i assume the drummer will not be leaping over his kit at this point in his life. :)
Probably not, but his playing still holds up. He always struck me as Jazz influenced. He sounds the same all these years later.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
Much as I love Slade for everything else, that song never had the cool, creeping and crouching grandeur with them..........

It's shown out of context to a large degree. It was at the end of a 20 minute medley which starts with Cum On Feel The Noize, into Chuck Berry's "I'm A Rocker", into "Boney Maronie" (Lennon style) into "Whole Lotta Woman" (Marvin Rainwater) into ZZ Top's "Waitin' On The Bus" and finally Born To Be Wild, by which time sweat was pouring off their hair, chins & noses etc etc......................... :-\  I guess you had to be there; I was ......... many, many times.
Only reason it's never made it to film in it's entirety is that Holder thought film crews would spoil the flow of the gig and because he had deep pockets and short arms.