Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 164360 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 04:57:16 AM »
When combining the search words "EB", "busy bass player", "Jethro Tull" and "Spanish" only one thing crops up: The late great John Glascock! And with Carmen he played an EB (with Tull it would be Fenders and eventually the Stingray though he would also pick up a TBird sometimes). Good shots of him at 0.45 (once you have waded through or enjoyed Amanda Lear's introduction!) and later. Seems to have been a walnut or stripped sixties EB-3, short scale and judging by the bony proggie sound with only the bridge pup running, obviously some Andy Fraser influence there. Busy he was. He basically played baritone guitar with Carmen, but nicely though. It got him the job with Jethro Tull too, who saw him when Carmen opened Tull's Warchild tour in the US and sank like a stone though you do wonder why, flamboyant wardrobe, odd meters, folk influences, hard rock riffs, a certain feverish nervousness in the music, all the Tull ingredients were also in Carmen, albeit with a Spanish and not English folklore slant. Maybe they looked too glam or lacked an immediately identifiable front man (the guitarist, David Allen, was their musical brain, but not their front man). Or, quite possibly, flamenco dancing during lengthy and sophisitcated instrumental parts proved too much for the common Tull'ite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCGT8l0Rao&feature=related

David Allen's sister Angela, the singer/dancer/keyboardess, and John were an item at the time; given her more recent musical output he proved a lasting impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZMXmyxm0e4&playnext=1&list=PLCF0B30C45E1FAE78

Ritchie Blackmore loved Carmen. (And tried to unsuccessfully poach John Glascock from Tull for Rainbow though he eventually found someone with a similar, if more sparse style in Bob Daisley.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:47:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »

I had to look awhile for this, as a kid I liked Pete Agnew's tone on "Razamanaz" and "Rampant" a lot,
the first time I saw them he was playing an EB thru Marshalls......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umf5r_ldpck&feature=related
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »
Charlton is an underrated guitarist and especially an underrated slide guitarist.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
Every video shot that day at Tanglewood has something in common - the bass players were completely ignored by the director and cameramen.

But there darn sure is some fantastic music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

I had to look awhile for this, as a kid I liked Pete Agnew's tone on "Razamanaz" and "Rampant" a lot,
the first time I saw them he was playing an EB thru Marshalls......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umf5r_ldpck&feature=related

Pete's awesome sound is probably mostly due to his flatwound strings IMO. When you listen to his sound across a variety of their albums the common denominator is always that thudding full of tone sound that only flats will give you. I play almost exclusively on rounds and regularly get sound envy with guys who have that Pete Agnew kind of sound. I recently put a set of flats on my Cargill fretless but so far this is my only conscesion into this coveted territory.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Deep Nazz
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 03:45:27 AM »
For whatever reason, Roger Glover, the producer of the Razamanaz album, is reputed to have played all bass tacks on Razamanaz, including Vigilante Man. Glover, forever the gentleman, has never commented on this one way or the other, but neither have Nazareth denied it (perhaps they bargain on the extra sales to DP fans like me who cherish the Razamanaz album as a prime example of Rogers bass playing!). In any case, the fact that the studio version features a roundwound strung bass (as Glover preferred) and is played with a different feel, lends credibility to the story.

The most gloverish bass playing on Razamanaz is featured here - sounds like straight off Machine Head, typically idiosyncratic Glover timing and phrasing:

And which other Purple musician played on this track uncredited, class, intro at 0.10?

Come on, hear the similarity here at 4.11!!!

Needless to say, you also hear him here, intro at 0.22:

Dear Lord, that can't have been too hard even for you, can it?!!!!

But for the really, really slow and thick ones among you, I'll even supply a pic of him (far right) together with the brother of a Rolling Stone (far left), you can see some similarity in their Faces (nudge!).

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:19:23 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
Lord only knows what you're trying to suggest but there are some days when I suspect you have serious OCD issues...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:04 AM »
Now Roger Glovers playing is something I know a little bit about having played in a DP tribute band for years and ya know Uwe, I have never listened to Razz in the same way as I would anything from Purple. Its always been an album that I just play and listen to the band as a whole. Tomorrow morning its going back in the car for a few more re-runs. Have a listen to the bass on Fool Circle as an example of Pete Agnews Flatwound sound. Especially noticeable on the more sparse reggae sounding tunes like Let me be your leader or the live version of Cocaine (one of my favourite non Cale versions).
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »
One of America's finest with a disciplined version of one of their greatest hits played in their usual so(m)ber state. Cann-abysmal but great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4up6_OphOMY&feature=related

The (lamentably late) Jance Garfat is the odd man out, playing solemnly and steadfastly his seventies EB-3 or -0 (hard to catch him, the camera man was probably distracted a lot of the time). I have a soft spot for him because long before I earnestly listened to music or considered bass playing his very prominent "flats with a pick" bass sound was the first bass sound I actually conciously registered on a pop album, namely Dr Hook's Sloppy Seconds (without ever realizing what it was, I thought it was drums initially  :-[ :-[ :-[ ).

And as regards the guitar "solo" - Ted Nugent eat your heart out!!!  :mrgreen:

And here is them sending out an earnest if steel guitar-drenched message of diversity to a probably slightly bemused/bewildered German TV audience (and Alexis Korner!).

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:59:06 AM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
when i saw dr. hook the bass was a long neck eb. like the guy in black oak played. they opened for zappa which i thought apropriate.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 06:12:49 AM »
Yes, from the sound on the albums it might have been an L model.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »
Wolfgang's Vault just threw this set up.  Pre-release live video of "My God" and others, with Glenn Cornick on bass.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jethro-tull/video/my-god_-923410598.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20111020video
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
"I am a consistent low-range modulator"

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
^ Weird intro. BTW, Jerry Scheff played on the studio recording.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:13 AM »
Here's another long scale EB. Andy Hess with Gov't Mule on his EB0-L playing a reggae version of Soulshine.