Author Topic: '66 Thunderbucker pickups have arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18847 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
I'll definitely post pics when it's done.  In the meantime here's a custom that Mike Lull built for me recently:  

That a great looking bass. Wonder how it would sound with a Mahogany body?
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Indeed very purdy. And different.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
That's one of Mike's new lines isn't it? The PT-4 I think? He is also doing it with a Jazz body, the JT-4 if I'm not mistaken. I have been itching to do another build somewhat like one of those, but with a mahogany body, so it'll be a Fenderbird in sheep's clothing. Man these chrome pickups are burning a hole in my pocket.... ;D
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
At a glance, that bass body is very G&L-like.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Looks like a standard P shape to me.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
 ...lack of pickguard, chrome knob layout etc. I HATE that bridge, but if I squint hard enough, it also looks "post-Fender Leo." I have sick dreams about combining MFD's and Thunderbuckers.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
True, but the pics on his site show a pickguard. http://www.mikelull.com/Instruments/PT4_PT5/PT_Large.htm

I meant the body shape anyway. The bridge does look closer to G&L than Fender.

Looks nice with the T-bird pickups. Brad's bass without the pickguard looks even better.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Looks a lot better without the PG IMO. I've never really liked that style of bridge but I think that one actually suits the bass sans PG of course. Wonder how a 3 pointer would go on it?  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Just for looks, I prefer this to the Fender original. The big argument that speaks for the Fender bridge is that it is the original part on a Fender bass, but this bass isn't a Fender so why bother if there is something better and nicer?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Reminds me a little of the short-lived Fender Zone Deluxe American, or maybe a Gibson Bass IV.  The Fender Zone was actually a pretty cool bass.  I considered getting one when they came out.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
... Wonder how a 3 pointer would go on it?  ;)

Bite your tongue!  :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
That a great looking bass. Wonder how it would sound with a Mahogany body?

How many do you want? ;D

fur85

• View Profile
Reminds me a little of the short-lived Fender Zone Deluxe American, or maybe a Gibson Bass IV. 

Gibson IV is what I thought of too.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Today's my 'day off'...so I've started this.  JAEZZbird, it will not have a 3 point.  I LIKE the original low mass threaded Fender bridge but also have used all 3 Badass variations , Schallers,Gotohs and whatevers on 'Fneders'.

I contacted ThunderBucker Ranch to build a TBer '666 model to add to the current line, based on replicating (or improving) the high output sound of Orville by Gibson pickups.  Hotter magnets and more wire (2 miles is NOT ENOUGH ;D) is the starting point.  Steve is filling orders as they were placed, Jim should have his pretty quick as well as the 'Down Under' contingent...I got my six sets first and just placed an order for another dozen.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
  Steve is filling orders as they were placed, Jim should have his pretty quick as well as the 'Down Under' contingent...

Woo Hoo! cant wait.   :thumbsup:
Digresion our specialty!