Author Topic: '66 Thunderbucker pickups have arrived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18820 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 They just showed up in the mail today, They look beautiful!  I can't wait to install them in a bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Spiritbass

• View Profile
Hi Scott, I'm waiting to 'hear' your impressions. I've been getting to know Carlo through talking about the Thunderbuckers and his JAE Birds. He hipped me to this here outpost for the bass-obsessed and I'm finally getting around to posting. I'm still dithering between the "66 and '63 spec for the 'bird he will be crafting for me. If I can't make up my mind, I'll have to invest in a pair of both spec. It is SO COOL that he has brought these into production again!

Ken

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Put those in your JAEbird now Scott, there's no time to lose  ;)
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Pix from ThunderBucker Ranch prior to departure.  500k pots recommended.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Have ask- how much do they cost?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Have ask- how much do they cost?

Currently $160 each, $300 a pair delivered.  You can contact Steve here:
http://thunderbuckerranch.com/

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 I will be installing them today, I got sidetracked by my new NR.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 They are installed A -B ing with one of my vintage birds right now.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
 ;D

Then a comparison to the JAEbird as it originally came, please.

;D
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 First these things are just beautiful and look spot on, very well made. Comparisions I can make won't be objective. I have only played the Jaebird with the Duncans twice and both times through 200 tube heads. Today I am using my little Fender practice amp with a 8 or 10 inch speaker. Also doing a side by side with my vintage NR and the Jaebird is a apples to oranges kind of thing, to top it off I am not sure of the strings that came with the Jaebird but they are not RS66LDs like my NR is strung with. Having said all that they sound great, more out put than the SDs and just a hint of grit, my '67 NR is just a little louder than the Jaebird with the Thunderbuckers and the NR has more treble zing I have a feeling that the Roto Sounds account for the difference. For me the real test will be at a gig with the Hiwatts and having the same strings on both basses. So what I can say is that they sound great in the Jaebird, and have all the hall marks of what I think a Thunderbird pickup should have, nice warm midrange response with a treble zing, a full not harsh tone and hot, slightly overdriven output for passive pickups. I think Steve and Carlo really brought it to the table I am more than satisfied with what I hear but I really need to do a side by side with my stage rig and the same strings on both basses.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Holt shit! Strings make a HUGE difference.  I was not satisfied with my first comparison and I knew strings were a big part of the equation soooooo. I just put a used set of Rotosound RS66LDs on my Jaebird the same strings in about the same condition  as on my '67 NR. Now the Jaebird is a bit louder and it has the angry piano thing going, it sounds in tone identical to my '67, Dead on perfect, man Steve really nailed it! If you are looking for that Thunderbird sound look no further than the Thunderbucker. Awesome well done standing ovation.  :toast:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:15:24 PM by godofthunder »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Scott, I shipped your JAEbird with nickel Rotosound RS66LDN, fairly old takeoff set.  Lately I'm liking Ken Smith Rock Masters, used them for my JAEbird clip. 

Steve deserves all the credit for ThunderBuckers, all I did was give him the original pups and a mission.  Glad they sound authentic to you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:27:58 PM by dadagoboi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 I had noticed the strings you ship with my bass sounded more docile than what I usually use, I do like them but I have been using the RS66LDs for so long I don't care for much else ! They are a much more aggressive sounding string and it showed in the side by side comparison.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
I ship 'em with either $5 Allparts nickels or whatever takeoffs I have lying around.  If the buyer has a preference I'll supply those for whatever they cost me minus $5.  Strings are a personal choice but as you say make a huge difference.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 I Sat in with friends last night they let me do eight songs :) The bass player had Epi pro Thunderbird run through a GK 1x12 combo with a GK 1x15 with some MXR DI tone  pedal whatever it was I was very impress with the sound of the GK Epi combo. When I plugged my Jaebird into the rig it was clear my bass was louder, WAY louder than his Epi Pro bird (those are active right ?) Again all I can say is the bass sounded fantastic, the pups are dead on and WELL worth the $. I just ordered two more.