Author Topic: Jance Garfat  (Read 6269 times)

Garrett

• The Blues is life and life is the Blues.
    • View Profile
    • Strange Brew
Jance Garfat
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
In memory of Jance Garfat on his birthday! March 3, 1944.

Robert Jance Garfat played bass with Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show from 1971 to 1984. Jance died on November 6, 2006, in a motorcycle accident.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Jance Garfat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
 To bad about the motorcycle accident it's why I don't ride. To come through the 60's and 70's then to be killed on a bike so many years later. It's like surviving WWII only to be killed crossing the street to get your retirement check out of the mail box. They were a hell of a lot of fun. RIP
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jance Garfat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
I didn't know. I really liked his bass playing. Dr Hook's Sloppy Seconds was the first album where I took note of the bass - that flatwound sound with a pick really stood out. To this day I really dig their Shel Silverstein phase, the first two albums are brilliant. They seem pretty much forgotten these days or remebered for their later - deplorable - Sexy Eyes phase. Dennis Loccoriere (spelling), the main lead singer (and NOT the guy with the eye patch!), still makes nice blue-eyed soul solo albums though.

"I was 17 years old that day
I was trying to get a woman for my birthday
So I made up my and I didn't waste no time
And I took my daddy's caddy down the free way ..."
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...